Dometic power awning bent roller

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sooeycute

Well I've done it again. Let the rain bend the roller tube on my 20' awning. I have done this on previous campers but that has been years ago. I know better but I was away when it happened.

Anyway this is the dometic 9100. My question is should I replace it with another dometic roller or is there an advantage going with the solera roller. Looks like manual retraction would be easier but that doesn't help when your roller is bent

I was told by Dometic that if the roller does not jump up and down when it is rolled up,it would be fine. A slight bend in the roller would not effect the operation of it.

mine is a little more than slight. I even tried the manual retraction technique and that is when I realized just how bad it was bent

No straightening. Just get the next one. I screwed up. I certainly knew better. Always leave your awning tilted for water runoff or retract it before a storm. Our recent heavy rain caught me unprepared. Just inconvenient timing.

Well that is exactly the information I was looking for.

One is about as good as the other

I bent my awning a few years ago. Nothing that $3k couldn't fix.

Well I had the rv repair guy out. Turns out the roller wasn't bent. It was just the way I tried to roll in the awning. The electric motor was dead. New motor all all is good once again. Sure feels good to have it working.

Do you hear a humming noise every time you extend the RV awning? If so then the noise may be coming from the awning roller, which wears out because of the constant movement. The way to replace the RV awning roller is very simple. You can break the process down into two basic steps: disassemble and reassemble. And some simple tools like a screwdriver, non-permanent marker, vise clamp, and a razor,... for this activity.

Well if that includes slide awnings I can assure you that the roller end cap (bearing surface) on one of mine wore to the point that the roller rubbed on the slide. This locked the roller from unrolling pulling it up over the lip of the slide when it powered out.
Of course the end caps are not available so I had to machine parts to repair.

Do you hear a humming noise every time you extend the RV awning? If so then the noise may be coming from the awning roller, which wears out because of the constant movement. The way to replace the RV awning roller is very simple. You can break the process down into two basic steps: disassemble and reassemble. And some simple tools like a screwdriver, non-permanent marker, vise clamp, and a razor,... for this activity.
Roller tubes are one of the most important components of an RV awning. It is also the most susceptible to wear and tear because of constant movement. Knowing how to replace this RV awning roller helps you deal with unnecessary noises in your RV.

Over the years, usually as part of a fabric replacement, I've straightened a few bent, but not kinked, awning tubes. I strip out the end caps and spring assemblies, pack them tightly with dampened sandbox sand, and with the ends supported on 2x4's, use my own weight to push down at the crown until the tube strings straight. It doesn't always come out perfect, but definitely enough better to allow normal operation without any obvious "bounce" when operating.

Some years ago I damaged one of my rollers.. Do not recall if the main one or a slide out cover
A local RV repair had a pile of old rollers. all in 1st rate condition.. I think they ask 10 bucks for one of 'em (Just get one that's the right diameter and at least long enough. you can shorten 'em easily)

Worked well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KWKnut
Back
Top Bottom