Dometic power awning recall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
Dometic has announced a major safety recall for its powered RV awnings. It affects model 9100 Power Awnings, Weatherpro Awnings and the Motor Service Kits used with them and can cause the awning to unfurl unexpectedly, whether staionary or on the highway.  This potential condition affects only the power awning products manufactured between Feb. 13, 2013 (306XXXXX serial number) through April 9, 2013, (314XXXXX serial numer). The serial number appears on a label on the right underside of the fabric and on the roller tube. On the power awning field Motor Service Kit, the serial number appears on the end cap of the shipping tube.

Dometic says the problem can occur only if an important step was omitted during installation. However, they recommend that customers who have the awnings listed above do NOT drive/tow their RVs.

For more information, see this article:
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/dometic-usa-announces-product-recall-220900782.html

My mobile service guy was the one who found out about this, which explains why my Dometic/A&E patio awning motor died after only two years.

But I just have to say, I was expecting a nightmare, but got more like a dream. I'm FT, only move every three weeks, and right now, only on the OR coast. Once Dometic verified that my awning motor was part of the recall, they called MY preferred mobile service provider (not part of their standard network), worked out the details, and shipped them the new motor. Once it arrives, they'll come out to me and replace it.

I couldn't have asked for a better recall experience. (And, having now read the warning, I guess I'm really lucky that all that happened to me was that my motor stopped working.)

BTW, while I don't know about other manufacturers, if you have a Winnebago, you can call Winnebago and ask what the model and serial number are for your awning, and not have to climb up on a ladder to find them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snowtoast
Back
Top Bottom