Dometic Refrigerator Door Repair. Replacing hinges?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mkHouse

Hi All,

Just got back from a VT trip with our c class tioga and while out one of the hinges failed. Specially the lower triangular piece on the lower right bottom snapped off. I was able to epoxy it a bit to get us through but now home and looking to repair. It looks like it might be able to flip hinges or pull one from the freezer. Does anyone have experience dismantling the door on Dometic 802 designer series refrigerators or leads on spare parts for these?
Thanks much,
Mike

Attachments

• IMG_0240.JPG
    IMG_0240.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 28
correction it is model RM2807 Designer series...Confused it with part number on Volvo window switch that I'm also battling with today.

Mike

If the lower hinge attaches to the door with a pin that sits in that triangular bracket Dometic sells an expensive kit that is a repair to the door but from the looks of your photo you are beyond what the kit is designed to do.

This is hard to describe but I was able to create an extended support using a rafter tie that ran along the bottom of the door to add support.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 9
Jeff said:
Mike

If the lower hinge attaches to the door with a pin that sits in that triangular bracket Dometic sells an expensive kit that is a repair to the door but from the looks of your photo you are beyond what the kit is designed to do.

This is hard to describe but I was able to create an extended support using a rafter tie that ran along the bottom of the door to add support.

Thanks Jeff

I think I understand what you did. I was able to locate the repair kit and while it doesn't reference my unit it looks like it would work..however you are right there is too much broken away to allow the kit to be used.

Ive found a door on ebay but it is pricey. I might consider adding 2 standard hinges on the outside of the refrigerator to fix it. Will research that next.

Mike

Once the door hinge breaks, there is not a real good way to repair it because it is integral to the door.  Further, Dometic no longer makes the door. 
So you must jerry-rig a hinge somehow, or find a replacement door from a salvage source.  I am speaking from experience because mine broke, and I searched the entire USA from coast to coast for months before finally finding someone who was replacing their old unit.
Once you get a salvage door, I would recommend installing Dometic's repair / reinforcement kit to the door because it really just reinforces the plastic door and hinge.  The design is really poor and is prone to failure with no viable repair except replacement.

When mine broke I found a repair kit online for sixty bucks.. After visiting the llittle room to dispose of my reaction to that price (it's about a dollar's worth of materials) I went hardware shopping.

That piece of T-Shaped metal is called a corner brace and I did bend it a bit, also enlarged the hole the hing pin is in as I recall.

Attachments

• Hinge Dometic.jpg
    Hinge Dometic.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 21

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianw1234
Back
Top Bottom