Dometic RM2551 too cold...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryancousins

I checked the thermistor. My fridge was around 5 degrees F but may have gone up to around 12-15 degrees since I had the door open. At that point my meter read about 8.5 K Ohms. I then pinched the thermistor w my fingers for 30 seconds or so and then it read around 5 K Ohms. I?m not sure if these are appropriate amounts as I?ve seen different charts and figures for what they should be for dometic fridges. I tried moving the thermistor around to different spots with no luck. Obviously the thermistor is functioning but perhaps it?s out of range? Otherwise what else should I look at?

Here is the service manual.

http://techsupport.pdxrvwholesale.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Dometic-Diagnostic-Service-Manual-RM2551.pdf

It could be a board problem. The thermistor seems to be in the correct range. I am guessing that the fridge is not shutting down. An easy way of monitoring a cycling fridge is on propane. Usually you can hear it or see it on or off. Usually you would need a meter to monitor the 110 volt heater. If the fridge stays on or continues the same problem in both modes, then it will either be the thermistor or the board.

Absorption fridges lack internal air circulation, so have notoriously uneven temperatures.  Have you measured in different spots?  And are you measuring with a thermometer immersed in a cup or glass of water?  You can't get consistent and valid readings in the air - the water helps stabilize readings.

I have two different thermometers in the fridge in different places and they both tend to agree with one a other but I could try moving them around. I don?t have the thermistor in water; I?ll do that. I used the fridge recently and everything inside froze solid after one day, regardless of its location on the shelves or in the door. So even if there is a lot of variation in temp, even the warmest temp is way below freezing.

I did try moving the thermistor last night. It?s in between the fins, rubbing up against them. It?s at 11 degrees F, now. But now sure how to find a colder spot than directly touching the fins.

Definately check the thermistor as described in the service manual. Also check to see if the unit ever cycles off.

Just snip the tip and you can install an adjustable thermistor.  https://www.snip-the-tip.com/cgi-bin/articca.cgi

Back
Top Bottom