Don't take I-80 in CA mtns any time soon.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DonTom

I think we're expecting one of the biggest snowstorm ever at Donnor Summit. Some are saying expect 13 feet (not inches!) of new snow by the weekend. But most are saying to expect "only" around ten feet of new snow.

I -80 will soon be closed for sure.

I won't be headed for Auburn for a while.

-Don- Reno, NV

Looks nasty up there right now. Link to I-80 webcam at the summit:
I am seeing more traffic than I expected.

I also see the camera is blowing around in the heavy winds. A genuine blizzard. They don't happen that often there.

I expect them to close I-80 any minute. This is only the start of it.

-Don- Reno, NV

I've been warning folks on other sites.

Reminds me of the early 80's when my parents were visiting (from the UK) and we took a charter bus from work (Santa Clara) to Reno. Left at 5.00pm, scheduled for 5-5.5 hours, we sat for 5 hours on Donner. Finally pulled into Reno at 2.30am.

My Dad figured he and I should entertain the passengers by singing in the aisle. Folks I occasionally run into still remember the entertainment.

I think I will stay hear in the DFW area where it will be 75 tomorrow and 83 on Sat.
I wouldn't mind being there either. 40°F here right now, but the very heavy wind just now completely stopped. Kinda weird.

No snow here yet. I am on the top of a hill at 5K' elevation.

-Don- Reno, NV

You can access any live camera still in service from: One-Stop-Shop for Rural Traveler Information
This website is a cooperative effort by the 5 Western states with CALTRANS in the lead postion. Then other states joined in, you can tell by which states have live cameras listed.

Auburn,CA traffic collision has both lanes of I 80 closed as of 7:04PM per that website.

Last edited:
Well the Donner Pass has long been a hard trip.

Here in Michigan we had a pair of tornados. One EF-1 hit Marshall. MI County seat of the county where I grew up and an EF-2 about 10 miles from me..... A bit closer than I like.

Just remember folks the best place to be during a Tonado.... SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!!

Just came here again to say I'm missing the warm parts of California. We've had a solid week of persistent rain, dark gray, and cold nastiness here in the Northwest. This is the hardest part of winter to get through.

My cousins have a place in Tahoe. I wonder how that is right about now, snowy, I bet. When we drove by Shasta at the end of January, it was looking pretty good, nice and high. Good snow in the region this winter.

@DonTom

How much snow do you have in Reno this afternoon?
A little snow flurry off and on all morning, so far. Not sticking, no snow accumulation.

And I can get a little more snow here than the rest of Reno as I am on a hilltop at 5K elevation. Most of Reno is at 4.5K'.

It's still morning here, for a few more minutes, so I cannot yet answer for the "afternoon."

-Don- Reno, NV

Back
Top Bottom