Door opening while towing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeffbobo

Howdy all we just bought our first rv  :) it's a 2013 Winneabgo One 30RE travel trailer. We have not had a chance to get out yet, but when we towed it home I noticed that the door was open. then again when I took it to storage the door was open again. I know the door was closed and locked the only thing keeping the door closed was the entry assist handle that folds down over the door. Is any one else had this issue if so how do you fix. Thanks for your help.

Jeff

It sounds like your latch is not fully going into the the striker plate hole.  If you push the door shut slowly and listen at the striker plate you you may be able to hear it snap when the latch goes into place..  Also you can pretty well eye ball if the latch is lining up on the striker plate hole.  If it?s not fully seating, when the trailer flex's on the road it can release.  You can adjust the striker plate some.  Also check to see if the latch is fully extended when the door is open.  If I were you I would not do much to correct it as it?s under warranty let the dealer log in it with I?m sure other items that will need adjusting or fixing. 

When we had our 5th wheel I was always concerned about the door opening while traveling as these TTs do twist and bounce etc. We always used the deadbolt lock to secure the door when traveling.....never had a problem

I agree. The deadbolt has a longer throw than the door latch. Always lock the deadbolt to keep the door closed. Some RVs will twist enough that the door comes open even when the door latch is engaged. That is why I always lock the deadbolt.

I have a 2012 Winnebago One 30RE and the door is hard to close. You have to open the door latch all the way and really push on the door until it clicks. I always lock the door and dead bolt when towing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KWKnut
Back
Top Bottom