Dreams deferred

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PattyShipc

Well, darn it. I've been looking at this 2006 Sea Breeze with the workhorse engine. Had a chassis inspection on it yesterday...actually took 2 days to complete. $250. The house inspection was scheduled for last Monday, but it snowed. We rescheduled for today, but the inspection company flaked out on us. As I was scheduling with another company the owner of the rig called and said that if I was serious I would need to put down a non-refundable deposit, as they are getting other calls to view the rig. And he doesn't want to hook-up for inspections. Really? (It hasn't been run for 2 years and the tires have dry rot) I'm willing to put out $600 + time for inspections and he wants a non-refundable deposit bc I may not be serious?!? Plus, he demanded the deposit, then hung up on me. Also, he stated the mileage was 62,000, but it is actually 68,8000.
Back to square one. :(
Thanks for listening, Frustrated in Fort Collins
Is it standard practice to require a non-refundable deposit during inspection?

It is a sellers market out there right now, and what is standard went out the window a year ago

Well, darn it. I've been looking at this 2006 Sea Breeze with the workhorse engine. Had a chassis inspection on it yesterday...actually took 2 days to complete. $250. The house inspection was scheduled for last Monday, but it snowed. We rescheduled for today, but the inspection company flaked out on us. As I was scheduling with another company the owner of the rig called and said that if I was serious I would need to put down a non-refundable deposit, as they are getting other calls to view the rig. And he doesn't want to hook-up for inspections. Really? (It hasn't been run for 2 years and the tires have dry rot) I'm willing to put out $600 + time for inspections and he wants a non-refundable deposit bc I may not be serious?!? Plus, he demanded the deposit, then hung up on me. Also, he stated the mileage was 62,000, but it is actually 68,8000.
Back to square one. :(
Thanks for listening, Frustrated in Fort Collins
Is it standard practice to require a non-refundable deposit during inspection?
You made the right choice. Lots of good RVs out there and lots of decent human being sellers.

A deposit is pretty normal.
Though I would want a stipulation that the deposit is at least partially refundable should the inspection turn up serious issues that were not known prior to the inspection.

I had to reschedule a couple of inspections because of the weather along the Front range the last few weeks. One of them turned up some issues that were deal-breakers, and the buyer felt that the 1000 he spent on Deposit and inspection proved to be money well spent.

I searched for a year before finding our first RV, and six months for our second RV. I know it's frustrating right now, but believe it or not you are becoming more educated on RVs, sellers, and the overall process each time you go through this process. It'll work out much better in the end for you.

Also, I might suggest you post these threads in "General" or "Motorhomes" areas for more viewing and replies. You've graduated beyond Welcome Mat-Introductions area by now. ;)

Actually,, a seller can "demand" anything he wishes.. You always have the option of walking away and thumb your nose..>>>Dan
That's what I did...the frustrating part was that he demanded a deposit after I had already begun inspections. After I walked away from it he attempted to get the vehicle inspection report that I paid for from the place who inspected it. Of course.
It's all good...moving on :)

That's what I did...the frustrating part was that he demanded a deposit after I had already begun inspections. After I walked away from it he attempted to get the vehicle inspection report that I paid for from the place who inspected it. Of course.
It's all good...moving on :)
Out of interest was the Inspection a positive one?

I can see both sides here. You don't want to put a deposit and it fail inspection but, he don't want to lose a sale either. So you have already had the chassis inspection done? How did it come back? I would give him a deposit, but have it in writing that it must pass the house inspection, or he refund the deposit. I'm sure there will be some things that may need to be done. How serious they are to be seen. I know RVs and boats are selling like crazy here.

Back
Top Bottom