Driving from Las Vegas to Reno

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roamingrn

We are planning our route to pull our 5th wheel from Florida to Reno soon. Does anyone have any experience driving on US 95? We would like to avoid roads that are terribly steep.

roamingrn,

rt 95 from Las vegas to Reno is no problem. No big up hill or down hill pulls. Basically a good road for large vehicles.

have a great trip.

ken

Hello Roaming RN

roamingrn said:
We are planning our route to pull our 5th wheel from Florida to Reno soon. Does anyone have any experience driving on US 95? We would like to avoid roads that are terribly steep.

Have driven that stretch a number of times and other than boring, it should not be a problem for you. Las Vegas is roughly 2000'. Tonopah is about the half way point and roughly 6000' -- so your biggest climb will be that 4000'. It's one of those long gradual climbs on straight road that you don't really notice other than the last 50 miles or so.

From Tonopah you will gradually descend 2000' or less to Hawthorne, NV -- the Naval Weapons Station and Walker Lake area. I believe Hawthorne is around 4300' and Reno is around 4500. You'll pick up I50 at Fallon (location of the Top Gun training center) and continue West to I80 East of Reno. Some up and down stuff between Hawthorne and Reno, but not bad at all.

Again -- a very boring but easy drive. Beautiful downtown Battle Mountain, NV is "not" a world famous tourist attraction. ;)  Have a safe trip . . .

Sue has said if I ever want to drive that "boring" route again she'll fly. :) :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skinldy71
Back
Top Bottom