dual receiver hitch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RV daytrader

my small class c has this dual receiver hitch and I am wondering what its purpose is?? All bike and cargo racks I look at only need 1 receiver...there is 16 inches between receivers

Attachments

• 2010-06-17 003.JPG
    2010-06-17 003.JPG
    25.5 KB · Views: 72
My best guess is the PO had a cargo carrier that mounted in the 2 receivers for stability. i am in the process of adding 2 more receivers so my custom made cargo carrier will be stable, the middle receiver will carry all the weight and the 2 outside receivers will be to stabilize the cargo carrier.

Is one of the recievers centered?  If so, one is for a trailer (the centered one) and another for a bike rack or something (off centered one).
If one is not centered, I would guess some cusom made rack that the original owner did not want to remake and planned on using on his next rig....

There is such a thing as a single wheel trailer.. This trailer has one "Caster" type wheel under it (or sometimes two) that swivel as you move so it follows you but when you back in it preeceeds you without any special consideration.. It follows you just like a cargo Tray (rig mounted) does.

However since it has only one wheel, it needs TWO hitch points on the tow vehicle.

To see what I'm talking about.. Try the link

Google Imagies

tvman44 said:
i am in the process of adding 2 more receivers so my custom made cargo carrier will be stable, the middle receiver will carry all the weight and the 2 outside receivers will be to stabilize the cargo carrier.

tvman, you might be interested in this.

I've been RVing for over 30 years and never saw a double receiver like yours! Is it home made I would guess?

Scott :)

tvman44 said:
My best guess is the PO had a cargo carrier that mounted in the 2 receivers for stability. i am in the process of adding 2 more receivers so my custom made cargo carrier will be stable, the middle receiver will carry all the weight and the 2 outside receivers will be to stabilize the cargo carrier.

I thought it would be for better stability also...just didn't see any carriers that needed 2 receivers....and center of RV is between the receivers so any 1 receiver rack I buy will be off centered

Back in the old days when we still had our five kids at home we had a "72" 3/4 ton Ford pick up that I mounted two receivers to the front frame and built a channel with the two 2" square bars to carry a Honda 90 on the front. There was a 10' camper on the truck, and it pulled a 17' fiberglass IO boat plus our family of 7 and their gear.......Can you say "overloaded"?? Fortunately the trips were usually within 75 miles of home and not over freeways.

Just looking at the picture posted, I'd have to ASSUME that the spare tire is centered.  If that's the case, then neither of the receivers is centered and, thus, neither are for hooking up a trailer or towed vehicle.  Must be a custom installation for a custom carrier. 

Do motorcycle carriers need 2 receivers?  I think the weight of a motorcycle would need 2 and not just one centered receiver. 

Back
Top Bottom