Dumping....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KarenS144

WITHOUT a hose!  :eek: 

I've read accounts from others about seeing tanks dumped without the benefit of a sewer hose and hoped I'd never have to see it but my luck ran out!  I was walking the pups around our campground and saw a rig pull out of their spot, then on the way back, saw the same rig at the dump station.  The wife was wrestling a garden hose and trying to hook it up to the hose meant to wash the sewer hose & area off after dumping.  As I was wondering why, I saw the reason.... yucky lumpy nasty brown gunk pouring from the TT's drain! 

Maybe they had left the hose somewhere or maybe it was damaged but OH MY GOODNESS...that was about the grossest thing I've seen!

I have FOUR different hoses so that I do not have to worry about that kind of thing.

one 20 foot self-storing (CAMCO) two extension hoses (One  15' red and one 10', the original that came with the RV) and a 15 foot Rinoflex`.  Assorted sewer elbows and seals as well.

Your generous suggestion that they may have lost their hose could have been solved by a $10 trip to Wal*Mart.  I guess we should be pleased that she was trying to clean it up, so to speak.

Just a thought, maybe the black valve was open when they took off the cap and that is why she was frantic to get the water hose connected. Just sayin.

We were camped at a friends house in Vegas a few years back and I needed to dump the black tank before we took off for parts farther north.  I wound up at a bus yard that allowed public dumping.  The bus yard didn't use a typical sewer hook-up, it was just a open grate that they would pull the buses over then flip a switch in the cab.  It got the job done but I didn't bother writing down the address because I never want to do that again.

We saw a hose come off while the guy in front of us was dumping his black tank. What a mess. We helped him (from a distance". The new RV'er learned a big leason. It would have been funny if it wasn't so sad. We decided that we could wait until the next campround to dump.

waroland said:
Just a thought, maybe the black valve was open when they took off the cap and that is why she was frantic to get the water hose connected. Just sayin.

The nice thing with making a mistake like that is that one generally only does it once.  :)

We once had the valve break (stuck closed) with a nearly full black tank.  Bought a new valve, but had no desire to.....uh.....open the stuck valve to change it.  I had a dozen ideas on how to get it open....all of them involved having the cap off and none of them seemed pleasant.  Wifey finally suggested I pull the trailer up on a fairly steep berm and get it tilted where I could change the valve without getting a bath in sludge, and then pull it back over to the dump station and empty it.  IT WORKED!  No, the smell wasn't pleasant, but not a drop (or chunk) of anything else came out.  It wasn't completely full....and after that, I will never let one get that way. 

This fall I had a new shop built.  I intended to park the RV in it so I had a floor access added when it was plumbed for the bathroom so that I could dump the tanks into the septic system.  After the first trip this spring I proceded to dump the tanks and discovered that the hose had a hole in it, not just one but several.  Every good RVer knows to dump the black tank first.  By the time I got the valve shut I had several gallons of black tank contents spreading across my new concrete floor, with several more gallons still in the hose to drain.  To top things off the new puppy couldn't resist 'playing' in the stuff.  Apparently some winter 'guests' had nibbled the hose.  Perhaps the floor drain should have been positioned on the outside of the building.

Lindsay Richards said:
We saw a hose come off while the guy in front of us was dumping his black tank. What a mess. We helped him (from a distance". The new RV'er learned a big leason. It would have been funny if it wasn't so sad. We decided that we could wait until the next campround to dump.

What caused the hose to come off? 

I'll admit, my second time emptying the black tank my hose popped off.  It happened quick, and thankfully I was near the valve.  Being young-ish, I reacted very quickly and shut the valve.  Mess was manageable.  Thankfully, it was actually raining outside at the time, and there was nobody around.  With a hose I was able to clean the area well.  However, my ego was damaged.  My mistake was just being an idiot.  I forgot to take the cap off of the end of the hose, the hose filled, and the weight (I guess) caused the hose to pop off of the valve.

Needless to say, that will never happen again.  I still wonder why the connection at the valve is not secure.  That hose will pop right off if you are not careful. 

Lindsay Richards said:

What scares me about this is how do any of know it didn't happen just hours earlier at the dump station we are using?!  SOmetimes I feel as though I should have disposable booties and a tyvek suite on while dumping  :eek:

You can buy a 12 pack of latex gloves...and keep them in the bay. Put them on before you start...stretch them good first...they will go on easier. I sure makes you feel better..psychologically, when you have those blue rubber gloves on.

I always dispose of them outside at the dump site that usually has a trash can. I would never get in the front door of the coach with them.  ::)

What scares me about this is how do any of know it didn't happen just hours earlier at the dump station we are using?!

You cannot know. That is one reason DW and I never use public dump stations, unless we are desperate. We always arrange to be in a full hookup site when the tanks will be full. I do carry a set of plastic booties that fit over shoes and plastic gloves but have not had to use them yet.

parttymer said:
You can buy a 12 pack of latex gloves...and keep them in the bay. Put them on before you start...stretch them good first...they will go on easier. I sure makes you feel better..psychologically, when you have those blue rubber gloves on.

I always dispose of them outside at the dump site that usually has a trash can. I would never get in the front door of the coach with them.  ::)

Other version... I've got a outside shower right there at the sewer fitting. So I rinse my sewer hose with hot water to kill germs and smell. Then I got a use bar of soap to wash my hands after the job is done. No need to enter the RV to clean up either.

I notice that at RV parks one of two conditions exist.

Either the sewer inlets are surrounded by dirt (Grass, Gravel whatever) OR..

They are in a concrete pad with very good slope toward the drain.

For just this reason.

Last time I paced off the distance, and decided to use my brand new never been used before 20' hose.. Turns out there was a hole right where I'd pulled it onto the fitting when I replaced the hose.

Where I'm at now.. I will use the shortest hose I have.

But both rig and hole in the ground are on/in dirt, no concrete

Mopar1973Man said:
Other version... I've got a outside shower right there at the sewer fitting. So I rinse my sewer hose with hot water to kill germs and smell. Then I got a use bar of soap to wash my hands after the job is done. No need to enter the RV to clean up either.

Finally.....I have a use for the outside shower.  I never could figure out the purpose in  having one of these. 

Darn!  I thought surely one of you would come up with a procedure to pick up the turds by the clean end.

Just Lou said:
Darn!  I thought surely one of you would come up with a procedure to pick up the turds by the clean end.

Lou>>> you do know why they are tapered at one end don't you???

George

Ahhhh - Come on George! You can't leave us hanging like that!! Inquirering minds want to know. Although, considering the topic maybe we don't want to know why. ;D

Back
Top Bottom