E-Motorhome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Noticed a slight engine skip on my 1977 MGB. Just polished the "points" in the distributor, now it purrs like it should. No codes, no plug into computer, no parts, plenty of room to work under the bonnet.

Now if my modern DW was as easy life would be grand!

Noticed a slight engine skip on my 1977 MGB. Just polished the "points" in the distributor, now it purrs like it should. No codes, no plug into computer, no parts, plenty of room to work under the bonnet.

Now if my modern DW was as easy life would be grand!
I went with the fireball(?) coil and breakerless ignition. Lots of arguing on both sides of this with, "You can polish and gap points but if the breakerless fails you are stuck" being at the top of the list.

I hate being folded upside down timing and gapping points. About 10k on the breakerless with no faults. I carry a spare breakerless in the go kit if I am gonna be far from home.

although I could afford it at $42,000 for the base model I wouldn't exactly call that cheap,
IMO, it will not be long until most EVs are cheaper than most ICE.

They will probably be much like computers in the past. Every two years will be half the price but twice as good.

Here is some more info on the Tesla Semi. They are now fairly commonly seen on the major highways. Perhaps most of us here have seen them by now.

It probably won't be that long before they have decent E-RVs with a decent charging infrastructure. But probably won't be soon enough for me.

-Don- Auburn, CA

IMO, it will not be long until most EVs are cheaper than most ICE.

They will probably be much like computers in the past. Every two years will be half the price but twice as good.

Here is some more info on the Tesla Semi. They are now fairly commonly seen on the major highways. Perhaps most of us here have seen them by now.

It probably won't be that long before they have decent E-RVs with a decent charging infrastructure. But probably won't be soon enough for me.

-Don- Auburn, CA
I'll agree if you're talking about a desktop PC. Cell phones, however, are more $$$ every year. That's why I keep one for 3 or 4 years, then just buy last year's model. I don't use the dang thing anyway.

Cell phones, however, are more $$$ every year. That's why I keep one for 3 or 4 years, then just buy last year's model. I don't use the dang thing anyway.
I assumed it was the 5G compatibility that made the prices go up a bit. I rarely use my cell for phone calls. Perhaps four phone calls per year with it. It's normally off, but I always take it with me. I use it perhaps mostly to activate Electrify America charge stations because they do not use RFID cards and most of the credit card readers still do not work as many of them are still trying to use 3G, a system that no longer exists.

But with the E-RVs, I expect the batteries will continue to get better and cheaper and that is the only thing expensive in EVs. The rest of it will mostly be a lot of mass-produced electronic stuff. That means the more of it around, the cheaper it gets.

-Don- Auburn, CA

I assumed it was the 5G compatibility that made the prices go up a bit. I rarely use my cell for phone calls.
My brother came out of college with a math degree focused on statistics. He got a job with a cellphone conglomerate. We all think there are a bunch of cell phone makers but in fact there are (were at the time) about 3 who manufactured brands for all the distributors.

My brother develop algorithms on how long people could keep their phone before a "free" upgrade. The manufacturing cost of a $1000 iPhone is like $100. The idea is to get the consumer on the hook by contracts, financing phones. The question is how to keep them. The "reason" an iPhone costs $1,000 retail is because it makes it really, really, really hard to pay it off and switch carriers.

I'll agree if you're talking about a desktop PC. Cell phones, however, are more $$$ every year. That's why I keep one for 3 or 4 years, then just buy last year's model. I don't use the dang thing anyway.
3-4 years? Not bad. I kept my last one about 10 years and the current one is about 4 years and going strong. I cracked the screen and while I usually view this kind of tech disposable it was only $75 so I fixed it.

My brother came out of college with a math degree focused on statistics. He got a job with a cellphone conglomerate. We all think there are a bunch of cell phone makers but in fact there are (were at the time) about 3 who manufactured brands for all the distributors.

My brother develop algorithms on how long people could keep their phone before a "free" upgrade. The manufacturing cost of a $1000 iPhone is like $100. The idea is to get the consumer on the hook by contracts, financing phones. The question is how to keep them. The "reason" an iPhone costs $1,000 retail is because it makes it really, really, really hard to pay it off and switch carriers.

3-4 years? Not bad. I kept my last one about 10 years and the current one is about 4 years and going strong. I cracked the screen and while I usually view this kind of tech disposable it was only $75 so I fixed it.
My current one I've had for over 3 years. The last one I had for 5, and I would have kept it but it was a 3G flip-phone and Verizon was dumping their 3G network.

My current one I've had for over 3 years. The last one I had for 5, and I would have kept it but it was a 3G flip-phone and Verizon was dumping their 3G network.
After 8 years we replaced ours, both had original batteries. Hope these new ones last as long.

Back
Top Bottom