Easier to Just Replace Water Pump?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Giss

So we just used our 2021 Keystone Passport after it's first winter in Montana...and I already have lessons learned, like forgetting to run antifreeze through the spray ports and city water port....

Current things I know:
1. City water is filling the fresh water tank. I tried turning off the city water, ran water pump and ran hot water for a while and it did not reset whichever valve is the culprit;
2. Water pump cycles on and off every 10 seconds or so when city water is turned off;
3. The hot water valve on the shower port will not turn off (when i plug the hose in, hot water constantly pours out no matter what i do)

Are all these things related and will simply replacing the water pump solve everything? Or do I need to hunt for whatever leak there is the system elsewhere? I don't think the shower port is the issue as nothing leaks from behind, and water doesn't come out when the hose is not connected. I'm not super concerned about the shower port since I never use it and it seems just an easy faucet replacement.

Thanks!

I don't know the plumbing layout on your coach, but I had the first 2 of those symptoms when the seal on the stem of on my fresh tank fill valve went bad.

In your case I would look at the hot water valve first, then go from there as it may be back flowing causing the other issues.

3. The hot water valve on the shower port will not turn off (when i plug the hose in, hot water constantly pours out no matter what i do)

Thanks!
Are you saying the water runs out the shower faucet?

Does it do that with the pump?

At this point they could be related or the entire culprit could be the shower head/faucets.

Are you saying the water runs out the shower faucet?

Does it do that with the pump?

At this point they could be related or the entire culprit could be the shower head/faucets.
No, the "shower" spray port right above my intakes (city and fresh). Looks like a sink faucet, but has the quick connect for that hose. It does not leak at all when under pressure from city or water pump. but when i connect the hose, hot water flows freely. I took the hot handle apart and reconnected and that did not fix it. Since it is only an issue when the hose is connected, I doubt that is the issue.

I don't know the plumbing layout on your coach, but I had the first 2 of those symptoms when the seal on the stem of on my fresh tank fill valve went bad.

In your case I would look at the hot water valve first, then go from there as it may be back flowing causing the other issues.
I was thinking I'd just replace that whole faucet since that seems pretty easy, but I doubt that is the issue since it only acts up when I connect the quick connect hose for it.

"Stem" of the fresh tank valve.... What/where exactly is that? Right where you stick the hose to fill?

Since the fresh water uses the very same plumbing whether the water comes from the pump or the city connection, I have to suspect that you may have sine extremely high water pressure from your city connection. Are you using a pressure regulator on your city water supply?

Since the fresh water uses the very same plumbing whether the water comes from the pump or the city connection, I have to suspect that you may have sine extremely high water pressure from your city connection. Are you using a pressure regulator on your city water supply?
Yes, even with the regulator it backflows into the tank. some valve will not close. I am wondering if this valve is also causing the pump to continuously run...

The design of those shower valves is not necessarily intuitive, just because there is not an external leak, does not mean that water flow may not be back flowing through the bad valve. Though without knowing your exact plumbing setup I am not sure if it could get back to the water tank or not. Off hand I can't picture a flow path for it to get there, but I don't know the plumbing setup on your coach.

More likely it is something else, bad check valve in the pump, bad seal in the tank fill valve, etc., but I would not want to discount the possibility that something exotic is going on, particularly if you have an "automatic" fill valve for the fresh tank, where pressurized water from the water heater may be pushing past the shower bad valve and back flowing down the cold side of the water line.

Yes, even with the regulator it backflows into the tank. some valve will not close. I am wondering if this valve is also causing the pump to continuously run...
Does your RV have a valve to fill the fresh water tank from the city water connection by just turning a valve? If so, that valve leaking or left open would cause the tank to fill and if on, the water pump would run constantly. Something similar to this picture?
612FKNKjZ7L._AC_SY355_.jpg

Does your RV have a valve to fill the fresh water tank from the city water connection by just turning a valve? If so, that valve leaking or left open would cause the tank to fill and if on, the water pump would run constantly. Something similar to this picture?
612FKNKjZ7L._AC_SY355_.jpg
Nothing like that. Just the opening for fresh water to fill it and the city water connection right next to it.

The design of those shower valves is not necessarily intuitive, just because there is not an external leak, does not mean that water flow may not be back flowing through the bad valve. Though without knowing your exact plumbing setup I am not sure if it could get back to the water tank or not. Off hand I can't picture a flow path for it to get there, but I don't know the plumbing setup on your coach.

More likely it is something else, bad check valve in the pump, bad seal in the tank fill valve, etc., but I would not want to discount the possibility that something exotic is going on, particularly if you have an "automatic" fill valve for the fresh tank, where pressurized water from the water heater may be pushing past the shower bad valve and back flowing down the cold side of the water line.
Interesting. When I was messing around with some connections, some of the water spilling out was warmer than I expected it would be. I disconnected the hose on the pressurized side of the pump and that water was warm...I wonder if the water heater is pushing water back down it's cold water supply. I can take some photos later when I get home.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abrown666
Back
Top Bottom