Effective Today - We're FWers!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MicheleF

We picked up our very first RV today - we've never even been camping before! 

Bought a (used) 2010 40 ft. Keystone Alpine, she's a beauty!  Came with a 2010 Ford F-350, King Ranch Super Duty Club, Diesel Dually.

Both are in fantastic condition, and when we picked it up today the previous owner spent about 6 hours with us, showing how everything worked, how things fit together, and then spent 2 hours making sure we were comfortable driving it, and even had us backing in and out of pylon-marked parking spots in an empty parking lot - which he set up for us.

We've got 2 weekends booked in local campgrounds, and have decided our first "big" trip is going to be Toronto to Nashville. 

First question:  Is there a checklist anyone can recommend of things to put/keep in the RV before heading out?

This will be our first time pulling anything, so how many hours should we plan to be on the road each day, and are there any recommendations for campsites between Toronto and Nashville?  I expect we'll be coming down the I-75 to Kentucky.

Thanks!
Michele F

Congrats on the new rig.  My wife and I bought our first TT - never been RVing before either- last November and are anxiously waiting for a weekend where we (and our 2 young boys) can head out.  I'm a bit envious that you've got weekends booked already.    I hope it goes well, and be sure to post how the first outing goes!

-Mike

Congratulations, Michele. You've come a long way and we hope you have many years of adventure. There is a really good check list in the forum library. Over time, you will add your own items to that list.

I'm sure you are excited. Please rely on this forum. Its a great resource when the unexpected happens. There are lots of 5er owners here, with lots of expertise.

Stan & Becky

Is there a checklist anyone can recommend of things to put/keep in the RV before heading out?

Michele, click the Library button above and look in the Checklists area.

While I'm a proponent of doing tons of research before buying (my wife and I researched almost a year before buying our first motorhome)...

MicheleF said:
the previous owner spent about 6 hours with us, showing how everything worked, how things fit together, and then spent 2 hours making sure we were comfortable driving it, and even had us backing in and out of pylon-marked parking spots in an empty parking lot - which he set up for us.

... this is definitely a good thing that many folks don't get.  NOW you get to figure out everything else on your maiden jouney(ies) and have some REAL fun! ;D  Make sure you have some good roadside assistance in place (Coach-Net is highly preferred among veteran RV'ers here) before heading out on that first long trek.

Plan on short days of driving if you have the time to do so. RVing is more about being there than driving all day long - that just gets tiring and detracts from your enjoyment. Those of us with unlimited time rarely drive more than about 250 miles/day. Stop early in the day, to get a good choice of site and to give you time to relax and enjoy a pleasant dinner and evening.  Start out in the morning at whatever time you like to start your day and not because you need to make 500 miles. Do a leisurely lunch stop too, if you like.

Of course, if you have to be back at work on Monday, you are going to have to drive more each day to reach further destinations. Still, try to plan your trips so that getting there is just as enjoyable as being there.

Congratulations on your new rig. One of the best ways to get what you need in your trailer is do the check list for the basics then spend a night camping in your driveway or a camp ground close by. Have a note pad handy so you can write down the things you find you need. I should have camped in a Wal-Mart parking lot.
I don?t like to drive over 300 miles a day. Last Friday was 300 miles from Odessa Texas into Fort Worth with a strong cross wind it was a long day. Shortest drive was Santa Fe to Albuquerque 1.5 hours on the road, its only about 62 miles.
Bill

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bridger
Back
Top Bottom