Electric converter question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oak

So this has happened twice, the incidents about two months apart, but both times occurring at the same camping park.
4:00am in the morning. Suddenly the lights dim, for perhaps 3 to 4 seconds. Return to normal. Fan on the converter kicks in, runs for about 30 seconds.
Now I have not been connected to shore power for any length of time except at this particular camp ground so not sure that is even in the equation.
I believe I have read here on the list about this being a sign that the converter might be getting ready to give up the ghost.
Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Oak

I would not immediately suspect the converter if that happened. The fan comes on because the converter got hot, which could mean its air intake is clogged with dust or the compartment lacks ventilation. And it heats up because its electrical load went high. This is often an indication that the battery is weak and the converter/charger is trying to get it up to snuff. And overloading as a result. The interior lights dim a moment as the converter directs all its power to battery charging, then recovers. This often yields a periodic dim/bright cycle as the charger keeps trying to get the battery voltage up.

Sounds like the converter over heated  and the thermo overload triped.  The light dimmed because you went to battey power. Untial it cooled down..  I agree with prior post.  When in dought clean it.

I had no thought of that, thanks. I will get the vacuum out and do a thorough cleaning. I have a compressor so could blow condensed air over it too.

I will let you know what I find out.
Thank you Gary, thank you Robert.

Oak

I also agree with prior posts. My advice is to be careful with the compressed air if using to clean electronics. Unless filtered for moisture, could create more problems. Probably wouldn't be a problem in your situation. But it's possible. A vacuum is a better route.

grashley said:
My question is why were you up at 4AM  TWICE! to notice?

Good question. You gotta remember that we are not all in the same time zone. And we are not all retired. Some of us are still working. And working different hours of the day and night.
Put it this way...
At 4am EST, I'm only 3/4 the way through my work schedule.
You get the idea.

My question is why were you up at 4AM  TWICE! to notice?  ;D  :eek:

OK, so I am getting old and just don't sleep so much.
It is weird huh?
???

Oak

Nope. Not weird at all. I watch a lot of MeTV on terrestrial TV during the wee hours of the morning because my body clock won't let me sleep during vacation or weekend camping.
It sucks, but the job pays the bills. I deal with it.

You all know I was kidding!  I do not always sleep through, but my time is usually closer to 6AM.  I also have sleep issues, and 2 or 3 times a month, I never do get to sleep.

We have to do some things to keep all of this light!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gregcss43
Back
Top Bottom