electrical issues with batteries and generator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ernieg

i have a 97 Winnebago adventure . with some electrical issues , started when generator would not start , then while checking battery voltage ,the coach batteries (2 12 volt in parallel) measured 10 volts , the main battery (12 volt) measuring 29 volts. with engine started all batteries read 30 volts, what would cause the main battery to read that high, also pertaining to generator, i don't appear to have voltage from battery to start solenoid

Welcome!!!

A defective meter!!  Usually the generator is started from the house batteries and 10 volts is dead, dead, dead.

Hi Ernieg, welcome to the forum.
I agree with Stu. Suspect meter or settings on the meter.

I can't, off-hand, think of another answer than a screwed up meter.  I assume you have other vehicles.  What sort of readings do you get from the battery on another vehicle?

i will confirm meter reading and get a bit more info thanks for the interest in helping

What do you mean by meter? Is this a device in the unit, or is this a separate standalone tester?

12v systems are notoriously affected by bad connections, and especially as they age. If you are not using a separate standalone meter, may I suggest that you obtain one and check again? If you can get a tester (known as a multimeter) that has very pointed and very sharp probes on the ends of the testing wires (mine uses old steel record player needles), that would be good. Those will pierce through built-up oxide on connections, and give you a true reading.

Back
Top Bottom