Electrical nightmare HELP PLEASE!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

myst4234

Hello,

We have a 1998 Coachmen Santara Class A.

I just replaced the batteries 3 weeks ago. They are constantly draining rapidly and WILL NOT charge when plugged in to shore power.
A. They do recharge if I run the main engine.
B. Also we have not been able to get the coach batteries to turn off when we leave (light stays on) only thing that appears on is the CO detector.

1. Is this the converter?? Though when I put a tester on it it looked to be outputting 12V DC.
    Though the converter NEVER gets warm or hot and the fan NEVER kicks on. Leads me to believe it may be issue.

When the converter is on and charging you should have about 13.6 to 14.6 volts.

Hello,

Thanks for the reply.. When I touched the tester to the red and black outputs from the converter it was 11.5 V

Also, should it not ever get warm and the fan kick on?

As someone else said it should read 13.6-14.6 (or there about) 11.5 indicates it is not outputting, looks like you are getting only battery provided power

If the batteries are low it will warm up and turn the fan on

Things to check.. First Disconnect the batteries, Lift the negative wire(s) and measure output

Check for 120vac TO the converter (Check breaker, and read on)

Check converter "Reverse Polarity" Fuses.. Many times those get popped when batteries are replaced, and for good reason (It does not necessarily indicate a fault or error)

Finally.. I"m fond of saying many of RVers have a few screws loose.. The METAL kind (not the mental kind) A common location for these loose screws is the main breaker box. they attach the wires either to the bus bars or to the breakers

With shore power UNPLUGED (if possible put the plug where you can SEE it) and generator (if any) off, open the breaker box and apply screwdriver.. On my rig a #2 Square or Robson works best.  Some of mine took a full turn and then some.. and after I tightened them things that were kind of flakey, (Downright odd) suddenly straightened up and have worked right ever since.. I know why this happens and again it does not indicate an error in assembly in all cases... Has to do with the difference between a stick built house and a motor home.

Thanks for the reply!!

1. I did check the 120 to the converter and was ok.
2. Also checked (and replaced to be safe the 2 30A fuses on the converter.
3. not sure what you mean by lift the negative wires and test output????

Lift the negative wires off of the batteries to break the circuit to them.  Plug in the rig to electricity and see if you have any voltage on the house circuits.  If you do, it's coming from the converter and should be 13.5 - 14.6 volts.

If the voltage is not there, the converter is broken.

Prior to replacing the batteries (3 weeks ago) we tried to use the coach with no batteries. NOTHING worked...Once I got the new batteries, all was good...

This seems similar to the test you spoke of by taking the batteries out of the circuit.
This being said, does that point me back to the converter? As I keep wondering why battery condition or not, shore power should give us juice.

I just replaced my converter for the same reason, solved the same problem. They are easy to replace and the newer ones have very sophisticated charging circuits that do a great job charging and protecting the batteries. I bought mine through Ebay at a great price, you might give them a look but be careful as always when purchasing anything on Internet.

just a thought, I had the same problem. Followed John and Lou's advise and did the trouble checks. Had 120 volts at the plug and no output. When I plugged back in it powered up( the inverter) All is well.
Just might be a simple thing.
Jim

Back
Top Bottom