Electrical outlets not working above pasenger side for TV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coachslagle

There are two outlets that are dead which are located above the passenger side front of the bus.  They are for the TV and DVD.  All other outlets work.  It is a 2006 National Surfside 34D.  I have located the breaker box but no diagram as to which breaker works what.  Any help appreciated.  Thanks.

Turn each breaker off and then turn it back on again. Often a tripped breaker will appear to be on when it is really off. If that doesn't solve it then go looking for a GFI out that has been tripped.

Hi coach. Welcome to the forum.  Those outlets are usually controlled by a device that prevents them from operating whenever the ignition switch is on. Are you perhaps running the engine?

120V outlets in RVs are typically daisy chained and start on one breaker.  The problem usually is the cheap push on connections used on those outlets. To find the one thats causing the problem look toward the breaker box to the last working outlet.  Take the cover off, take the outlet out of the wall and look.  Likely you will find a wire loose.  If not go to the next outlet in line and repeat.  As I got to it I always bought new outlets and replaced them.

BTW, REMEMBER TO DISCONNECT FROM SHORE POWER BEFORE WORKING ON IT.

donn said:
120V outlets in RVs are typically daisy chained and start on one breaker.  The problem usually is the cheap push on connections used on those outlets. To find the one thats causing the problem look toward the breaker box to the last working outlet.  Take the cover off, take the outlet out of the wall and look.  Likely you will find a wire loose.  If not go to the next outlet in line and repeat.  As I got to it I always bought new outlets and replaced them.

BTW, REMEMBER TO DISCONNECT FROM SHORE POWER BEFORE WORKING ON IT.

And make sure the inverter is off, and that the generator won't auto-start.

Probably a good idea to hit the battery disconnect switch AND make sure shore power is disconnected.

Work your way outward from the electrical box as you test. Don't forget any outlets on the circuit that may be in the bins below.

Also inspect your shore power cord. If one of the poles is off, you may only be powering some of the circuits in the RV. Commonly happens when the connections start separating within the head of the cord. They're very heavy cords and they seem to all be made very cheaply.

Also, many of the outlets are chained to GFI outlets, look throughout the coach to make sure they are all operating and do not need to be reset.

Ed 

Another posibliity IF you have an optional "Entainerment Inverter"  power to those outlets passes through it.

Circuit breaker
Ignition Interlock
300 watt inverter
Bad outlet
That's just about the list

And by my standard 100% of RV outlets are bad But that's another thread and should should NOT be the problem here.

ChasA is right.

In the USA the TV in the driving compartment has to have an interlock of some type (relay to the outlet) so the TV will not work when the motor is on.

Most of the time there is a relay before the outlet.  There are TV's that have 110 and 12 wiring.  The 110 runs the TV and the 12 volt positive disables the TV.

My RV had this to disable the TV.  the backside of that plug is an outlet for the TV.  When the ignition is running the 12V  prevents the 120V from getting to the TV.  Simple solution was to unplug the TV from the back of this plug and plug it in directly.  None of this matters if the outlets aren't powered by an inverter.

Then you have two possible causes a tripped breaker or loose wires as mentioned above.

Attachments

• IMG_20161123_123050965.jpg
    IMG_20161123_123050965.jpg
    300.1 KB · Views: 20
Same issue with mine when I bought it. there is one circuit that goes to the front tv and the rear tv it runs off of the inverter. The Romex wire was ran close to the exhaust manifold and it melted. made the gfi breaker on the inverter trip. I replaced that wire from the inverter to the front tv and it corrected the issue. I bet you have the same issue.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom