Electrical problem Tourmaster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blueblood

I have a guy sitting next to me with an electrical problem. He bought unit used and doesn't have any wire diagrams. If it works as he says its different then I've experienced so far. It has a Freedom 20 inverter and apparently some sort of converter. He is not able to use lights, TV or outlets with 120 volt plugged into shore power. he assumes because everything is run off Inverter. If he turns on converter, he can use TV but has been worried that its running down his batteries. I have my doubts about his understanding of the circuits but before I do anything more - I thought I'd see if anyone here is familiar at all with the Gulfstream approach to wiring and in particularly in a several years old Tourmaster.

Don't know the rig you are talking about but do know a bit about power systems in general

The following is "Generic" information

Somewhere in the rig there is some kind of control panel... I've only expierence with one type, but I will cover all 3 possible types here

Simpelist... An inverter and/or Generator with a outlet and you plug your shore power cord into it, This may be found on some home conversions but I know of no commericial rig using it.

Manual Transfer:  Somewhere, usually in the power control area, is a switch  "Generator/Inverter/Shore (or however they label it)  (I have this in my house, both of them in fact)

Modern:  An automatic transfer box.. This box has either 2 or 3 inputs and one set of outputs

Input 1: Shore power
Input 2: Generator if any/Inverter otherwise
Input 3: (if you have both Generator AND inverter) inverter

The box then makes a determination of which power system to choose.  I know my box will choose Generator over line (done tested it)  I suspect it's "Generator/Shore/Inverter

This box has a few other features too... IE: Delayed changeover.. If I'm on shore power and crank up the ONAN it will take something like 5 seconds before power systems register the changeover (Kill the Onan and it drops back to shore immed, usually tripping breakers on any high power gear active, which is why you kill AC before you switch)

Though mine gives the Generator priority over the shore power.  The default is shore,  That is if there is no power, it's connected to shore.

When it failed, the control board failed, and it remained on shore power even with the generator running. 

If I were building a system with an inverter instead of a generator I might well give the shore power priority over the inverter... And the symptoms you describe would be exactly what would happen if the control board on the change over switch fried... Like mine did

Now, what for me was good news..... Warranty, no charge

I've looked at Freedom 20 on X web site and see that it has an automatic transfer switch which is supposed to give priority to shore power. In meantime owner called X and they advised to take off front panel and jumper incoming line .ie. cut inverter out of loop. That seems to me to be confirmation that transfer switch has gone south in their view also. I guess the front overhead converter must be that TV set is 12 V.

He doesn't want to touch his stuff so off to dealer in Billings, MT on Monday.

blueblood said:
I've looked at Freedom 20 on X web site and see that it has an automatic transfer switch which is supposed to give priority to shore power. In meantime owner called X and they advised to take off front panel and jumper incoming line .ie. cut inverter out of loop. That seems to me to be confirmation that transfer switch has gone south in their view also. I guess the front overhead converter must be that TV set is 12 V.

He doesn't want to touch his stuff so off to dealer in Billings, MT on Monday.

Well... I'd say that this is a case of the simplist explanation being the best,,,, Transfer switch not switching

I've got to figure out how to add an additional xfr switch to my rig.. Low current, just enough to keep the computers happy when I go full time... Thankfully... I have time to do that

I'm still mystified about the coach's wiring. I forgot to mention that the AC's still run and some lights in rear of coach even though all other 125 stuff is not. It would appear that the transfer switch is by passed for these which would make sense for AC's since one certainly doesn't want them on inverter but curious about lights.  I was hoping some owner would respond and advise on wiring. maybe we don't have any members with this brand. In my coach, the transfer switch is a separate item from inverter.

There are actually 2 transfer switches in most motorhomes with an inverter.  One switches between shore and generator power, and the other, in the inverter, switches between shore/generator and inverter power.  The latter will automatically power the output circuit(s) from shore or generator power when available.

Typically, the inverter output(s) will power most of the outlets but not heavy loads like air conditioners, water heater, refridgerator, block heater, etc.

Ned said:
There are actually 2 transfer switches in most motorhomes with an inverter.? One switches between shore and generator power, and the other, in the inverter, switches between shore/generator and inverter power.? The latter will automatically power the output circuit(s) from shore or generator power when available.

Typically, the inverter output(s) will power most of the outlets but not heavy loads like air conditioners, water heater, refridgerator, block heater, etc.

Ok , that makes sense. I haven't looked at other brands for years so no real knowledge of how they are configured.

Back
Top Bottom