Electrical question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GARYJ said:
That was what I thought
At home it is a dangerous idea, you can kill someone or get yourserf killed, but in a travel trailer it would be very different
I have a honda EU 2000i
That could be done with an inverter as well doesn?t it?
Once again, it?s not something that I want to do
Just want to know if it can be done and why

go to your community collage and sign up for electricity 101.

GARYJ said:
That was what I thought
At home it is a dangerous idea, you can kill someone or get yourserf killed, but in a travel trailer it would be very different
I have a honda EU 2000i

The problem with backfeeding on a trailer...

If plugged in to someting.. Well same as a house

IF NOT PLUGGED IN. YOu now have EXPOSED HOT WIRES (the plug)

Also they can short if they are in a compartment (have heard of it happening)

The solution is simply do not do it.  For one thing it is way way easier to simply plug the Trailer into the inverter generator with the proper adapter.. This is both safe and the PROPER way to do it. also easy.. Plus you do not have to carry a special "Suicide cord" just a small adapter.

That's not correct.  A travel trailer is NOT different from home power.  n fact, there is zero difference if the trailers shore plug is connected to an external outlet.  If not connected to shore power, the exposed pins on the shore cord are hot (120v) and likely to short or kill somebody.

GARYJ said:
That was what I thought
I have a honda EU 2000i

The risk factor is the same in your home as it is in your RV. Just don't do it!!!! It requires a cord with exposed prongs on both ends of the cord. That's the killing part!

One other reason NOT to try this, that I don't think has been mentioned yet. If your RV has an inverter, and you back feed that with the deadman/suicide/widowmaker cord, you will very likely destroy the inverter.

cavie said:
The risk factor is the same in your home as it is in your RV. Just don't do it!!!! It requires a cord with exposed prongs on both ends of the cord. That's the killing part!
Backfeeding an RV you have exposed terminals on the shore plug.. So it might actually be MORE dangerous..  OR not..  Backfeeding a house can kill a lineman.

Back
Top Bottom