Eliminating the "exhausty" odor in our rear bedroom.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SLOweather

Our 2014 31' Sunstar with the rear queen bed has had a slight problem with the sheets, pillows and blankets smelling slightly of exhaust after a day of driving. The engine exhaust pipe exits the passenger side right in front of the rear tires. The coach never smelled like it, and the bedroom didn't, overtly, but it was there.

In doing some work in the "trunk" under the bed pedestal, I found 3 gaps in the corners that weren't completely covered by the plywood base covering for the bed. The one on the passenger side front was big enough that I could see the underside of the top carpeting, and push my fingers up into the cabin.

I filled all of the gaps with acrylic latex caulk. I had a 4x8 sheet of 1.5" rigid foam insulation on hand. So while I was at it, I emptied the trunk out, cut the foam to fit in 2 pieces, and screwed it up to the underside of the plywood with 2"construction screws and fender washers to insulate the bed and try to mitigate the mattress condensation issue.

After our latest trip last week, I can't really detect the exhaust aroma anymore, so I say it was a success. 

Nice hopefully that will fix your problem.

Any chance of running the exhaust farther back to avoid any other leaks?

Wow - Good post.  You probably already have one but please make sure you have a working, fresh carbon monoxide detector!  Good on you for noticing. 

GREAT fix, and you probably saved your leaky spots from getting carpet wet and starting mold and other issues.  :))

If you really want to be sure you can do a smoke test. Party stores and the like rent "smoke machines" pretty cheap. Rent one and place it under the RV. Turn it on wait for it to start producing smoke. Close up all windows and doors in the RV, and open and turn on all roof vents. The suction will pull in smoke anywhere there is a gap. Spray foam is also one of your best tools as well. 

Good job on the repair BTW.

SargeW said:
If you really want to be sure you can do a smoke test. Party stores and the like rent "smoke machines" pretty cheap. Rent one and place it under the RV. Turn it on wait for it to start producing smoke. Close up all windows and doors in the RV, and open and turn on all roof vents. The suction will pull in smoke anywhere there is a gap. Spray foam is also one of your best tools as well. 

Good job on the repair BTW.

IF you decide to take this route please don't waste a good smoke machine with no party.  Call your friends for a post test barn dance!

Back
Top Bottom