Entry Steps Hazardous

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rigsrv

Hello All!

Having an Issue...

Sold our Class A  to send daughter to college.

Can't live without RV'ing.

Purchased a New (2005 still on lot) Nomad Fifth Wheel.  Model 2605.
This is our first Fifth Wheel.

Layout is perfect, Easy to Tow.
Very Happy with one exception..
The Entry Steps at the door are dangerous. There is 3 steps.

It has a handle to grab. We added a portable step at the bottom.
But the steps seem small, not level and wobbly.
The ground to the bottom of the door is 3 feet.

We are not the most coordinated bunch. Its just a matter of time before one of us falls on their face.

Any suggestions on replacement, or a solution from someone who has dealt with this before??

The Rigsbee's

Clumsy as I am, I like to back down the steps tightly clutching the grab bar!

IN some cases there are optional steps which are better (Camping world and ________ RV (fill in the name of your choice) sell them)  and sometimes there may be adjustments

I do have a problem with my motor home sometimes in that if I'm parked next to a curb the steps won't always extend,  In fact sometimes it would be safer if they did not extend at all

I just added a toggle in parrallel with the door switch (in my case "Closed is Closed" that is door closed is switch closed) so I can "Close the door" while the door remains open.  Works great and the switch is very out of the way though easy to get to

John In Detroit said:
...if I'm parked next to a curb the steps won't always extend,  In fact sometimes it would be safer if they did not extend at all

I have the same problem.

I just added a toggle in parrallel with the door switch

Definitely in the "why didn't I think of that!" category. Thanks for the tip ohn.

Tom said:
I have the same problem.

Definitely in the "why didn't I think of that!" category. Thanks for the tip ohn.

Tom, I put the switch in the stepwell sidewall, above the bottom FIXED step It's more or less burried in carpeting (Just barley shows) and is out of the way,  Down is "Off" (And in the off position the switch is electrically not there) ON or UP retracts the steps as though the door was closed.

The only suggestion I'd make is to get a THICK PANEL switch if puttin git there, drill about half way through the wood with about an  1 1/4 inch drill and all the way through with a centered shaft size drill,,, I drilled too deep so the switch is mounted in sealing adheasive... Won't leak, Won't move, I hope I never have to remove it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom