Epidural Steroid Injection - yes or no?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arcticfox2005

I am bothered by low back pain (lumbar region). I had a recent MRI and just saw a highly respected neurosurgeon in Nashville. He said the pain is not due to spinal stenosis, which I have, but due to dessication (dehydration) of the disks. One option he put forth was an injection. I have researched this and I have doubts. There are good points and bad. I am using CBD oil three times a day and it mostly keeps the pain at bay.

Now comes the question - do I do it now, wait until later, or say no?

Educated (or professional) opinions are welcome.

Thanks,
Bill

Been through it all.  The epidurals helped me, though not a permanant solution.  Maybe 2-3 months and I was back for a repeat.  Eventually I ended up with two vertibrae that were out of line (front to back).  Surgeon convinced me he could help me (not with everything, but the vetrebrae and stenosis, yes).  That will be three years this December - best thing I ever had done.  I am better off right now than before I started any of the injections or other treatments.  Just have to not lift any more than 5-10 lbs.  I can, and do, live with that restriction.
My suggestion would be to try the epidural and see if helps you.  It's not a big deal and is low risk.
You don't mention your age or other possible health problems.

I had an Epidural to treat sciatica pain down my right leg several years back. I was recovering from a motor cycle accident, and had been doing routine visits to my Chiropractor. I was getting a lot of range of motion back, but the sciatica was not improving.  So I had one injection out of a authorization of up to three to treat the problem.

After the one injection the sciatica improved a lot, so I continued with the chiropractic adjustments and never needed any followup injections. 

I also took my chiropractors advice and started strengthening my ab muscles to help relieve pressure on my back. That has been the biggest long term improvement. I still get sore in the low back from time to time, but not the extreme pain I used to feel that would put me on the side lines for various lengths of time.  I still have bulging discs at L-4, L-5, and S-1.

I am not a fan of any kind of long term substance for pain. The body will adapt to the substance and the results can diminish requiring a stronger substance, or more frequent doses.  But that is my own opinion/observations.  I recommend doing something to try to proactively manage your condition.

The year before last, I tried to change a flat tire and the lug bolts would not budge even with a cheater bar,
The following morning I could not stand straight and had the worst back pain I ever had in my life.
At the time I was snow birding in Key largo. I  ended up in the emergency room and MRI's and exrays determined I had done permanent and irraperable damage to some lower discs and needed a major operation, which would be life changing. At the time the Neuro surgeon doctor gave me an epidural to get me standing up and two weeks later another to get me home to NC and get my operation.  The  surgeon confirmed the worst and scheduled the operation for the following month.  Shortly thereafter I ended up almost meeting my Maker with two blood clots in each lung, (nothing to do with the back problem) . They put me on a blood thinner, which caused the surgeon to cancel the operation unless I had some sort of filter put in my system which was another operation, which I refused.
Now two years later I have no back problem except some soreness in the morning until I get active, and I have no intention of getting the back surgery unless the symptons come back.

With all that said: by all means get the epidural!

Jack L

First sorry that all of us are in pain.  I also have major pain due to a accident.  They advised me i needed to shots as well due to bone spurs in my spine.  But when i checked into it, it would be $700 for each shot out of my pocket and i would have to get them redone every year.  Ill just live with the pain.. 

I injured my back when I was repairing printing presses. Tried to move one by myself. I was in a lot of pain for years and then had two of the three possible injections. Was like a miracle for me. I would do it again.

May be hit or miss depending on how accurate the injection is to the affected nerves. I've had 4, 2 worked - 2 did not.

However, simple quick process. It may be a miracle - try it, nothing to lose but a little time and maybe a co-pay.

dcb in VT

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/back-pain-your-spine-and-father-time/?utm_campaign=cc%20tweets&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_content=241217%20backpain&cvosrc=social%20network.twitter.cc%20tweets&cvo_creative=241217%20backpain

check it out...

taoshum said:
https://health.clevelandclinic.org/back-pain-your-spine-and-father-time/?utm_campaign=cc%20tweets&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_content=241217%20backpain&cvosrc=social%20network.twitter.cc%20tweets&cvo_creative=241217%20backpain

check it out...
Very good - the therapy and exercise is where I am now, after the injections and surgery.  I was told by an orthopedic surgeon many years ago that exercise was the best treatment for arthritic joints.  I gotta say, he was right.

You should check out the videos of the history of the proceedure.  The DR. that invented it used to use an electrical wire hooked to a big 16 penny nail (its what it looks like)  and he would kill the nerve by burning it with electric shocks.  They would have to make a small incision to insert the nail into.  I was like watching frankenstien work on his monster LOL    Eventually they went with a needle and a mediation that deadons the nerves, thats why it has to be done every year as the medicine only last between 10-12 months.  Plus the nerve grows back.

Back
Top Bottom