Erratic Slide Behavior - 2006 Winnebago Vectra 40KD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The last several times retracting my large living room slides I've noticed the slides coming in slowly.

Next trip when first depressing the retract button the slides would not move. I hear the pump.
I then press the extend button for a second then press retract and the slide comes in slowly. The slides still where coming in slowly but at least coming in.

On a hunch I replaced the shuttle valve (had a spare).

Old shuttle valve did have damaged o-ring.
Slides move faster now, but same problem occurs, when asking slides to retract they do not. Press extend for a second, then retracting works.
This not working comment is only when slides are fully extended. If I stop slide 1/2 through retract and press retract again it moves instantly with no hesitation. Bedroom slide works fine.

I'm really nervous about extending slides.

FYI my slides do come up on a ramp as the first movement. Meaning they have to pull upwards then slide in.

Any help on diagnosing would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Rob.

We usually don't have the engine running when pulling in the slides. Our large driver's side slide is a flat floor design and the hydraulics do groan when the slide is elevating.

My slide has 2 electric motors; 1 at each end. Not sure of the amp draw. Rather run engine than risk a stuck slide. It seems slow when first pulling it in but picks speed nearing fully retracted

Last edited:
My slide has 2 electric motors; 1 at each end. Not sure of the amp draw. Rather run engine than risk a stuck slide. It seems slow when first pulling it in but picks speed nearing fully retracted
That sounds like the Power Gear/Lippert system, I've heard it's very power supply sensitive. Our HWH hydraulic uses one pump and a manifold to control the various functions. It's not real picky about supply voltage to a certain point.

The last several times retracting my large living room slides I've noticed the slides coming in slowly.

Next trip when first depressing the retract button the slides would not move. I hear the pump.
I then press the extend button for a second then press retract and the slide comes in slowly. The slides still where coming in slowly but at least coming in.

On a hunch I replaced the shuttle valve (had a spare).

Old shuttle valve did have damaged o-ring.
Slides move faster now, but same problem occurs, when asking slides to retract they do not. Press extend for a second, then retracting works.
This not working comment is only when slides are fully extended. If I stop slide 1/2 through retract and press retract again it moves instantly with no hesitation. Bedroom slide works fine.

I'm really nervous about extending slides.

FYI my slides do come up on a ramp as the first movement. Meaning they have to pull upwards then slide in.

Any help on diagnosing would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Rob.
Have you checked the pads that the slide travels on? Sometimes they get worn and the slide will slow down.
Good Luck,
Indiana Journey

I have checked the plastic ramps, surprisingly they look good. I'm thinking because this is intermittent its some kind of sticky valve. That's my guess, but which one and how to diagnose is not easy. Thanks for all help.

run your engine and see what a difference it makes. if the system is struggling to come in, i have found most have a marginal battery supply. either a bad battery, or poor battery connection.
first, make sure the two bolts under the pump assembly clean and tight. remove them one at a time, wire brush them, wire brush the metal they contact and reinstall. this is the main ground for the hwh system. make sure the battery cable connections are clean and tight.
if you continue to have problems, you are welcome to call me at 602 549 3638. if i dont answer, please leave a message.
i dont call back to hangups.
i work full time for hwh corp. i do not solicit part sales on this forum. i do not do service work.
paul maddox

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom