Escape trans issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pushrod

We have suffered through numerous issues of our Escape transmission overheating while towing.  I follow the Ford listed reccommend procedures to the letter, and have had four times instances of people pulling along side telling me "your tow car is on fire!".  I have had several Ford dealers check the tow level on the  dipstick before towing, and still have problems.  One dealer rebuilt the trans saying that something was broken or installed improperly when it was built originally.  When it gets hot enough to puke fluid out the vent, causing the fluid to smoke and spew out underneath and onto the tailgate, the only way to start the engine is to put the shifter into neutral, as it will not even try when put into Park.  Obviously the fluid has expanded enough to at least partially put the trans into gear, not allowing one to start the car in Park.  There is a Ford accessory, which is a Remco lube kit which will cure this problem, but Ford says I have to pony up $800 to have it installed.  This kit will allow me to tow the car in the manner that Ford advertises and sells it of being capable of being towed.  It bothers me greatly that I have pay for something that was not engineered properly, yet marketed as fully capable of being towed four down. 

Ford apparently was as surprised as you are that the Escape isn't towable. They intended it to be, but they screwed up.
Try arguing that you bought the Escape solely based on its towability and that you would have purchased a different vehicle if it were not.  Maybe with enough persistence Ford will pony up the install labor too.

You can maybe get the lube pump installed elsewhere for less than $800 too. It's nowhere near an all day job, which is what $800 implies. Get some quotes from Remco dealers.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihesselden
Back
Top Bottom