Eternabond - What can it do

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jey

Alright guys I?m getting all my trim pieces and roof cleaned up.

I?ve purchased 2?, 4? and 6? Eternabond tape.

I?ve been seeing some people putting Eternabond over their corner trim pieces, side trim pieces etc and not just the roof.

After spending the last few months doing a rebuild from water damage, This really appeals to me. After removing the plastic trim pieces from the metal trim/channel above the awning I ran into completely rusted heads on all the screws holding the trim on because the plastic trim insert piece became a pool for rain water and debris and it?s been a not so fun time trying to get those screws out.

I stole some pictures of other people that have done this for example.

But I didn?t know if there were any downsides to doing this?  Some of my trim pieces are ugly and I was gonna have to paint them so the idea of just covering them up is pretty appealing

Attachments

• 872AF98A-0F51-474B-B149-F722A3A07C2D.jpeg
    872AF98A-0F51-474B-B149-F722A3A07C2D.jpeg
    33.2 KB · Views: 91
  • 402A1F6C-8FF9-4AD6-8CF9-2A4679C86490.jpeg
    402A1F6C-8FF9-4AD6-8CF9-2A4679C86490.jpeg
    21.1 KB · Views: 83
  • BD22561C-AA31-46EE-BF94-5706F56A1FF6.jpeg
    BD22561C-AA31-46EE-BF94-5706F56A1FF6.jpeg
    172.1 KB · Views: 80
Eternabond tape is an excellent product and can be used on surfaces other than just the roof. When applied correctly, it'll probably last longer than how long you'll own your RV. Just be careful when applying it. Once it's down, it's VERY difficult to remove. If it wrinkles, or otherwise looks ugly after it's applied, you're pretty much stuck with it.

Kev

First of all, understand that when you trade it in the Eternabond may be an issue. Dealers want a trade-in to look completely factory. In my case I plan on keeping mine for a long and it isn't worth all that much now. I put over 100 feet of Eternabond tape on mine several years ago. I even put it over the top and side edge of the front and side windows in the overhead bunk.  Since it is so high in the air you can't really see it around the windows. I also sealed the clearance lights front and back. There is absolutely no place for water to enter.  Eternabond lasts 20 years so I'll never caulk the roof again. The side windows are the only place left to caulk.

1st picture shows around all the vents and anywhere there was caulk.

2nd shows all the side roof trim covered front to back and where the rubber roof meets the fiberglass caps. Completely covers the aluminum trim from the liquid rubber roof on top (which stains badly as you can see) to the fiberglass on the sides. Draw a pencil line on the side first and apply the tape on the side then wrap it over onto the top to get a straight edge.

3rd shows how I wrapped Eternabond around the curved front of the overhead bunk. Yes, Eternabond will stretch if you take your time and use narrower strips. This is actually 2 strips of tape overlapping to make the curve. It looks so good people assume it came that way from the factory. And it should have.

I have to add I've started using Eternabond on my s&b house like around roof stacks and the seams on my metal shop roof. A 1/2 up to a 1 inch strip stretches perfectly around curves and looks better than caulking.

Attachments

• eternabond1.JPG
    eternabond1.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 95
  • eternabond2.JPG
    eternabond2.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 94
  • eternabond3.JPG
    eternabond3.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 87
TheBar said:
First of all, understand that when you trade it in the Eternabond may be an issue. Dealers want a trade-in to look completely factory. In my case I plan on keeping mine for a long and it isn't worth all that much now. I put over 100 feet of Eternabond tape on mine several years ago. I even put it over the top and side edge of the front and side windows in the overhead bunk.  Since it is so high in the air you can't really see it around the windows. I also sealed the clearance lights front and back. There is absolutely no place for water to enter.  Eternabond lasts 20 years so I'll never caulk the roof again. The side windows are the only place left to caulk.

Thank you for the photos. I think this will be the route I will take.

Is there any point in adding the plastic trim pieces in if I?m going to cover the metal trim with Eternabond anyways? I guess maybe it would make it sit more flush and not attach itself to the screw heads

If you leave out any of the trim just make sure you don't have empty space or gaps under the Eternabond. You could easily get a hole from a tree branch over an empty space.

If you haven't already check out more permanent roof coatings like Rhino liner or Liquid Roof. If you are like me I don't want to touch my roof again for 20 years. Its already been 5 years and so far so good.

I'm glad you got your water damage fixed. Hope the Eternabond works for you and that you have many trouble free years!

Use Eternabond but don't stretch it.  See their web page and will see that they do not recommend to stretch it. I put some in mine as a preventive measure, not because I had leaks.  I'm happy with the results.

They do recommend you don't stretch it. This my humble opinion only but my logic is because stretching makes it thinner which makes it less durable and stretching exerts a pulling effect which might cause the adhesive to fail.

I used the methods we used in the old muscle car days when putting wide vinyl pinstripes on cars. This method yields straight edges, lays flat, and blends in with a more professional appearance. When wrapping it around the trim on the cabover I stretched narrow strips somewhat and made triangular relief cuts to keep it from bunching and wrinkling which would have been ugly. If you can picture it this resulted in the inward side of the strip being stretched and thinned and the other side of that strip was not. My solution was to then put another strip overlapping the 1st strip's thinned side. Then using a pinstriping brush I covered the ugly grey adhesive edges with white paint (which I not done yet in my picture because it started raining). Since the thinned side and relief cuts are covered by the 2nd strip and since it has lasted 5 years I believe it is well-adhered, watertight, and will last.

Haelles said:
Can anyone explain any use for Eternabond regarding slides?
You have to be a little bit more specific. Where do you want to use it on your slide. The roof,
the outside corners. If it's the roof, are you talking then entire roof or maybe just a slit.

Haelles said:
Can anyone explain any use for Eternabond regarding slides?

I'm not often one to automatically point to outer sites, but the owner of the "Love Your RV" Youtube channel did a lot of "Eternabonding" about every seam on his 5th-wheel trailer, including the slides. The first few videos in this list show various Eternabond application/review videos and may answer your question.

Those videos are helpful but he had some ugly spots like the corner. If you use Eternabond on areas visible from the ground plan ahead on how you will lay down the strips so you get a nice smooth application. I would attach the visible edge first so it looks more professional.

I believe there is a video in the manufacturer web page about how to use it on slides' roof.

Other that roof and RV repair.....I used it to seal a set of steel wheels that are 50 yrs old and started to leak. Just put two layers around the middle inside and we are good to go. BTW this is on a backhoe not a vehicle.

I find lots of ways to use Eternabond around the S&B house too. Like replacing blackjack tar around roof vents. I cut it with a razor knife on a board down to 1/2" or greater strips to replace caulk around doors, windows, and shower surrounds. I use white or black whichever is less visible. Looks so much better than caulking and no maintenance for 20 years.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom