Evacuating NC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Out here in western NC its still mostly nice, about 78 and lots of blue skies.  Occasional dark clouds and showers, but pleasant. Our turn in the barrel will be Saturday night & Sunday morning if the forecast holds. Nothing like the coast, though. Maybe 4-5 " of rain (that's bad enough!) and 20-30 mph winds.

Greyhauler and KDBGOAT mentioned "HAZEL" from the year "54".

Well. I'm down to 4 lies a day...., oops, there goes one now!  Thank God lies are mostly about the past.....

Living in NE Philadelphia, Frankford section, I remember (as teenager) seeing the "eye" of Hazel pass overhead.

Sneaking out of house with others, we roamed neighborhood to witness the "hurricane". I have talked about it for years, remember seeing the open sky and understanding it was the 'eye".
It probably happened, but, time may have distorted my recall. Seen many movies and read many stories since then.
I do remember the excitement the experience brought. And oh yea, the anger and punishment of dad for leaving my Mom and Sisters alone. They were terrified as home was damaged from wind and debris hitting house.

I wasn't born yet when Hazel hit. I heard stories about it from my older siblings. The family lived on a farm at the time and lost a couple of large poultry houses in the storm. I was told the storm almost killed Dad, but I don't know the details.

We had some significant flooding from a tropical storm a few years ago, and encountered some local knuckleheads that decided a swollen river was the ideal place to go tubing. Legally, we couldn't stop them.

We did tell them that we weren't going to rescue them if they got into trouble, then grabbed some equipment tags off the engine. We asked them to write their names and next of kin on the tags, and put one in their wallet and the other in a shoe, so we could identify the bodies.

Knuckleheads went home.

Back
Top Bottom