Ever seen this Steps issue?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jymbee

This trip it seems like I've spent more time UNDER the coach than in it!

The latest... when we stop, open the door, the steps come out, then a loud BANG BANG BANG for about 10 seconds. What 'th..?

I can't see anything that looks abnormal on the surface at least. The base of the arm shown below vibrates as if it's stuck on something but it doesn't jump around util the steps are out all the way. It seems there's three components to this system and I'll attach the quote I got for those parts from REV.

stepsrot.jpg

Attachments

• steps_parts.jpg
    steps_parts.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 10
The steps open or retract until they reach something that stops them from moving, then the circuitry in the control board senses the increase in current and stops trying to move the step.

This method of operation keeps from damaging the parts that move the step if it hits something before being extended or retracted.

It looks like the circuit board is not sensing what it supposed to, to stop moving the step. You might sit on the ground and put you foot on the step and see if you can stop it as it is extending to verify this is the problem.

I don't how to fix this, or were the circuit board is, but the info should help you get started.

When were the steps last lubricated? Everything with a shaft going through it should be lubed. I use SuperLube in a spray can with a straw.

The steps open or retract until they reach something that stops them from moving, then the circuitry in the control board senses the increase in current and stops trying to move the step.

This method of operation keeps from damaging the parts that move the step if it hits something before being extended or retracted.

It looks like the circuit board is not sensing what it supposed to, to stop moving the step. You might sit on the ground and put you foot on the step and see if you can stop it as it is extending to verify this is the problem.

I don't how to fix this, or were the circuit board is, but the info should help you get started.

Interesting. Thinking back I can remember times when we parked too close to a curb for example. The steps could not full extend but they just stopped when they hit the curb on the way out. I'll try what you suggested.

When were the steps last lubricated? Everything with a shaft going through it should be lubed. I use SuperLube in a spray can with a straw.
I can't say as I'm as diligent as I should be with respect to lubrication, but after this happened I did spray everything that moves with a similar product. I don't want to do much "testing" while camped here lest the situation deteriorate before we get to the next stop and have a repair outfit look at things.

I'm 99.44% that that is the same motor/gear I paid $77 for on Amazon in Sept of last year.

Mine did the same thing. Opened the door one time and it banged and jerked back and forth. I applied a boot to it and it shut up but wouldn't retract. Gear was stripped. Found what I thought was right replacement gears on e-Bay but I decided just to get the whole thing.

Yeah, parking to close to the curb is what caused mine to strip, I'm sure.

I lube mine every time I service at 5000 miles, it does make a difference.

The "bang, bang, bang" does indeed indicate extend-retract-extend cycling. One common cause of that is a flaky door sensor or switch, causing the step to auto-retract & extend. Typically there is a magnetic switch on the screen door and a mode switch near the door (auto vs manual extend). And of course the circuit board could be faulty and misreading the status of the switch and sensor. There is also an ignition interlock that will force the step closed if the engine starts - that can cause intermittent retract/open if the interlock wire is faulty.

That bang, bang, bang is an indicator of the motor cushion bushing going flat. When they slip they don't allow enough high amperage for the controller to shut down the motor.
See bushings in the link below. Those bushings are also available from O'Rielly auto parts for Ford electric window motors.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/RV-Stair-E...517719?hash=item2af0428517:g:MKgAAOSw1u5fRxgK

Richard
Thanks. I have a repair tech looking at it and I'll pass this along to him.

I ordered
That bang, bang, bang is an indicator of the motor cushion bushing going flat. When they slip they don't allow enough high amperage for the controller to shut down the motor.
See bushings in the link below. Those bushings are also available from O'Rielly auto parts for Ford electric window motors.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/RV-Stair-E...517719?hash=item2af0428517:g:MKgAAOSw1u5fRxgK

Richard

I ordered those parts from Amazon but they did not arrive in time for the repair tech to use. Fortunately he was a very resourceful guy and was able to use other spare parts he had on hand. Problem solved. No longer have to be concerned about waking up neighbors within a half mile when exiting the coach in the night!

We had the same issue that Gary refers to - the steps were acting like they were possessed. I tried wiggling the wire connected to the reed switch (on the screen door) and it temporarily resolved the problem. I replaced the reed switch and it was fixed. The only challenge I had was picking the right switch - I wasn't sure if I needed an "default open" or "default closed" switch. I paid $12 for one that could do both, tested it, and put it in place. I hope this helps.

MOR/ryde step is a great unit. It provides much better stability when going up/down the stairs. They look pretty intimidating but installed in less than 15 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom