EVs and Pedestrians

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My Outback won't let you hit a pedestrian, someday EV's will catch up. I think based on this study they're too dangerous to be on the road. They're deathtraps. The good news is however if a Tesla runs you over, you guys can watch Netflix while waiting for the ambulance, you can't do that with the typical ICE vehicle.
I don’t know. Our car is pretty considerate around pedestrians. Even driving in front of the mall it will give pedestrians a chance to cross even if not at a crossing. Swings wide around them when they are walking on the road. Same with bikes. It’s pretty polite. Also does this with animals. Dogs, deer etc. probably more polite than most human drivers.

We're in the So Cal area along with close to 20 million others. California has strict pedestrian right of way laws. Still, I'm amazed at the number of people who cross the street and never look. It's probably the one thing about California's pedestrian right of way law that needs to be reconsidered. Some people just assume that vehicles will stop and let them cross the street. It's amazing that more are killed.
I went to look at a new Chevy Silverado pickup last week and decided not to buy after taking a test drive. I'm 6 ft tall but the hood is so high and bulky that an entire family or a kid on a bike could be in front of the truck (or crossing the road) and I'd never see them. I can only imagine what it would be like for someone shorter than me to drive it. When I measured the height at the front of the hood it was a full 5 ft. above the ground. Someone dropped the ball on pedestrian safety on this one.
Kids don't have to be present to get you a ticket in a school zone, 20 mph here means what it says, not 23 mph. Furthermore, in Plano anyway, changing lanes and talking on a phone in a school zone will get you a ticket. As for the notion that cars should have the right of way over pedestrians, that's just insane.
It doesn't matter how many places have laws saying that pedestrians have the right of way over automobiles. In the Navy there is an old adage called The Law of Gross Tonnage: "No matter the 'right-of-way' - he who drives the biggest ship wins."

Those who do not heed that rule we call 'shallow-enders' because they have been removed from that end of the gene pool.

Kids don't have to be present to get you a ticket in a school zone,
They do in some states, such as CA.

The sign will say"25 MPH when children are present". Could be 45 MPH when the school is open but no kids seen.

However, even if kids can only be seen in the playground, and all fenced in, it still counts as "kids present" in CA.

But most state laws are stricter on this than is CA.

CA school zone sign:
1716423485972.png
-Don- Reno, NV

Last edited:
They do in some states, such as CA.

The sign will say"25 MPH when children are present". Could be 45 MPH when the school is open but no kids seen.

However, even if kids can only be seen in the playground, and all fenced in, it still counts as "kids present" in CA.

But most state laws are stricter on this than is CA.

CA school zone sign:
View attachment 173186
-Don- Reno, NV

We have those.

And the “when lights are flashing” speed signs for school zones.

And speed camera enforced school zones (20mph).

And the “when lights are flashing” speed signs for school zones.
Here in NV, it is 15.000 MPH when those lights are on, regardless if any kids are seen or not. Very strictly enforced. Best to go 13 or 14 MPH.

CA sometimes has a flashing light on the sign, but most often not.

-Don- Reno, NV

My Outback won't let you hit a pedestrian, someday EV's will catch up.
You mean ICE vehicles caught up with EVs? I thought Tesla was the first with that. In Oct 2015. Tesla auto-brakes when something is in front of it.

See here.

"Automatic Emergency Braking

Model 3 is designed to determine the distance from detected objects. When a collision is considered unavoidable, Automatic Emergency Braking is designed to apply the brakes"

-Don- Reno, NV

Model 3 is designed to determine the distance from detected objects. When a collision is considered unavoidable, Automatic Emergency Braking is designed to apply the brakes"
My Honda Passport has that.

I really don't like the spaceship noises our EV makes below 30mph, but, that is a legal requirement for EV's and hybrids as part of the "Pedestrian Warning System" required by FMVSS (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards).
When did that start? None of my EVs make any fake noise at any speed and that includes my two 2023 electric motorcycles and 2022 Chevy Bolt. Zero motorcycles are especially quiet. Not even any drive chain noise, just the belt noise which is almost nothing. Has no gear box or anything to make much noise.

-Don- Reno, NV

What year is it?

Did any cars have it before year 2015 then Tesla first had it?

-Don- Reno, NV
You mean ICE vehicles caught up with EVs? I thought Tesla was the first with that. In Oct 2015. Tesla auto-brakes when something is in front of it.

See here.

-Don- Reno, NV
Many ICE vehicles had AEB systems long before Tesla. The technology has been around since the fifties. The world didn't begin with Tesla.

It doesn't matter how many places have laws saying that pedestrians have the right of way over automobiles. In the Navy there is an old adage called The Law of Gross Tonnage: "No matter the 'right-of-way' - he who drives the biggest ship wins."

Those who do not heed that rule we call 'shallow-enders' because they have been removed from that end of the gene pool.
He who drives the biggest ship philosophy will get you a manslaughter conviction too. It's also the motto for bullies. The rule of law, as John Locke wrote, is for the protection of private property. Having a gun or an automobile doesn't give you the right to take whatever you want, be that someone's property or their life.

When did that start? None of my EVs make any fake noise at any speed and that includes my two 2023 electric motorcycles and 2022 Chevy Bolt. Zero motorcycles are especially quiet. Not even any drive chain noise, just the belt noise which is almost nothing. Has no gear box or anything to make much noise.

-Don- Reno, NV

It started in 2019 and required automakers to reach full compliance in 2021.

I’m not sure if it applies to motorcycles, but it definitely applies to cars.

Our 2022 model Y makes some kind of a hushhhhhh noise when going forward. And of course the cyborg back up sound. I can’t hear the sound going forward inside the car but the reverse sound is pretty loud.

In Yellowstone NP a ranger driving an EV (Prius) drove almost completely under a Bison. His belly hung up on the windshield, the bison said, never heard her approaching. Basically a true story, I know the ranger, she used to complain about loud motorcycles, told her the bison could hear them coming, she snuck up on it. (it was at night)

Back
Top Bottom