EVs getting cheap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DonTom

I expect it could only take a year or so for the average EV to be cheaper than the average ICE vehicle.

"New EV Prices Went Down Over $2,000 On Average In February"

Another 5K$ to go to match prices.

I wonder how much such will make much difference in the percentage of EV vs. ICE when ICE is more expensive to buy as well as more expensive to maintain.

See here.

-Don- Auburn, CA

I expect it could only take a year or so for the average EV to be cheaper than the average ICE vehicle.

"New EV Prices Went Down Over $2,000 On Average In February"

Another 5K$ to go to match prices.

I wonder how much such will make much difference in the percentage of EV vs. ICE when ICE is more expensive to buy as well as more expensive to maintain.

See here.

-Don- Auburn, CA
I thought I recently read that Tesla had announced price hikes, after last year dropping them.

I'm no Ben Bernanke but I recall from Eco 101 that when demand for any commodity exceeds supply the price rises. Isn't it the case demand for EV's is falling well below expectations and wouldn't prices drop as a consequence? Tesla is likewise homorrhaging money, subsidizing it's own sales.
As it is, gas is relatively cheap and so is talk and talk isn't going to convince ordinary working class Americans without the expendible income that spending $40,000 for an EV is wiser than spending $40,000 on an ICE vehicle, Especially in light of the economic fact that as Hertz recently disclosed on dumping much of it's EV fleet, they're more expensive to maintain, resell value lags far behind an equally priced ICE vehicle and demand for them didn't meet expectations.
If the resell value in 3 yrs of one vehicle selling for $40,000 is 25-30% less than another vehicle selling for $40,000 then someone paid too much for one of them.

I thought I recently read that Tesla had announced price hikes, after last year dropping them.
My recollection of the timing of their price drops was off; I was thinking of the first takeaway in my report here. I'm still convinced I read/heard something about price hikes.

I hadn't realized, or maybe forgotten, that the Chevy Bolt is no more for 2024. Clearly, GM intends to fill the void with the Equinox. $28k seems like a good price, and the Equinox should offer a bit more space and utility.

What isn't shown is how hard Tesla hit all the luxury automakers in the family jewels and continues to do so. Most of these cars aren't hoping for Average Joe's aspirational dollar. A lot of them want a piece of what Tesla has already done to the luxury ICV market. And so begin price wars and divvying of market share.

There are still a lot of costs to spread out in the EV world. Completely new platforms, new manufacturing plants. OPEC is still holding to production cuts, but the US keeps producing oil at record levels, ahead of Russia and Saudi Arabia. Good for US gas consumers. I'm sure another gas crisis of some sort is coming though, we can't go a full year without some kind of oil drama.

that the Chevy Bolt is no more for 2024.
I have to wonder if the Bolt was discontinued because of the battery issues. IMO, they did a great job on that car. But its slow charging of 55KW on a DCFC makes it not as good as a Tesla (250 KW) for a long trip.

But the Equinox is 150KW charging which is within reason even for a long trip. A ten-minute charge is good for around 70 miles with the Equinox. That same 70-mile increase will take around a half hour with my Bolt. Three times longer.

The slow "fast" DC charging on my Bolt is a non-issue to me. It's still 12 KW on a home charge--same as the other two on an AC home charge and that is all I normally use. I only DC charged my Bolt once and that was just to be sure it worked! It worked fine, just slow to charge up on a DC "fast charger".

Between here and Reno, an 80% charge works well for me, which is about my longest car drives. 99.0 miles/ 160 km from driveway here to driveway in Reno. Even on a very cold day with heaters on and all, with all the hills, I will still have most of my charge left when I get to the other house in either car in either direction. But a lot more charge left when I come here (a lot more downhill).

-Don- Auburn, CA

I have to wonder if the Bolt was discontinued because of the battery issues. IMO, they did a great job on that car. But its slow charging of 55KW on a DCFC makes it not as good as a Tesla (250 KW) for a long trip.

GM's Orion assembly plant was retooled for other EV's and the Equinox EV is its successor. The Bolt was a great car which had many loyal customers and good sales, but I think you're on to something with the charging speed. The car had mostly gone without major updates since 2017, a long time in the EV world. Things have advanced since then.

GM's Orion assembly plant was retooled for other EV's and the Equinox EV is its successor. The Bolt was a great car which had many loyal customers and good sales, but I think you're on to something with the charging speed. The car had mostly gone without major updates since 2017, a long time in the EV world. Things have advanced since then.
Yeah, since 2017, they increased the DCFC from 50 to 55KW. Wait 10% less for it to "fast" charge. 55KW isn't much for year 2024, but it's not an issue to me. The 12KW AC charge is more important to me and both my EV cars can do that.

I am now at the Wendy's in Auburn, as I charge up my Tesla at Auburn home. I took the Bolt here to Wendy's. I am charging up the Tesla because I need to head back to Reno today, a VA appointment for tomorrow. It will be all charged up by the time I get back home from here.

Perhaps most of my going between homes from now on will be via electric motorcycle until the next bad weather comes over the summit.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Yeah, since 2017, they increased the DCFC from 50 to 55KW. Wait 10% less for it to "fast" charge. 55KW isn't much for year 2024, but it's not an issue to me. The 12KW AC charge is more important to me and both my EV cars can do that.

I am now at the Wendy's in Auburn, as I charge up my Tesla at Auburn home. I took the Bolt here to Wendy's. I am charging up the Tesla because I need to head back to Reno today, a VA appointment for tomorrow. It will be all charged up by the time I get back home from here.

Perhaps most of my going between homes from now on will be via electric motorcycle until the next bad weather comes over the summit.

-Don- Auburn, CA

GM dealers still have 2023 Bolt inventory and they're a great car. Price per value, I think anyone snapping up the last ones are getting a great deal. It's one thing to have charging speed, and a totally different thing to actually need it. I considered one for myself at one point. I need to work on unloading a car or two this year if we plan on moving.

GM dealers still have 2023 Bolt inventory and they're a great car.
The main advantages the Chevy Bolt has over my Tesla:

Better regen control. Adjust as you drive with the regen lever on the steering wheel. Makes it a very fun car to drive.

Progressive brake pedal regen. Brake lightly get 10KW, brake with a lot of pressure and get 70 KW. I don't think the brake pads ever engage in the Bolt. Tesla adds nothing at all with the brake pedal. But I normally use the steering wheel regen control only to stop. But not much need for the brake pedal in either car. In the Bolt, if the brake pads were removed, I doubt if I would be able to tell any difference at the brake pedal. I get more regen in KW than I can get from a DCFC when I press hard on the Bolt's brake pedal.

See drain or gain in KW as you drive, right on the screen.

Icon for blind spot right in the mirrors where it belongs. No need to take your eyes off the road to look at a screen.

Rear view camera automatically switches to front while parking going forward. Park perfectly every time, regardless of if backing in or not.

Passive FOB works perfectly. Open locked doors or drive with it in your pocket.

No need to keep the Bolt plugged in when going on a 3-month vacation. Makes no difference in the battery drain in 3 months. Tesla would be drained down by then if not left plugged in.

The adaptive cruise control works better in the Bolt. Set the length to follow the car in front very easily.

Heated steering wheel.

I could probably name a few more, if I thought about it.

Main advantages of the Tesla over the Bolt:

Charges almost five times faster during a road trip.
Better navigation system.
Voice commands.
Auto pilot and various warnings.
AWD (two motors) available.
Performance (scary fast).

IMO, the Bolt is a better around town car or for shorter trips.

Tesla is a lot better for anything serious such as a drive across the USA.

Much better, more reliable and much faster charging on the Tesla.

But either car can do either.

-Don- Reno, NV

Back
Top Bottom