Extended RV Fuel Storage (Gas)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Our 2016 Ram 2500 4x4 6.4L recommendation is 89 Octane. Our boat's 1978 V8 recommends 93 Octane. Neither is sold in Colorado. 85 Octane is what everything including our small engines, boats, cars, and trucks gets and runs fine without pre-detonation. It's about the altitude.

I won't run 85 Octane much less than 4,000 feet in elevation. 87 minimum below 4,000 and there's nothing around here that low in elevation except Moab. It's at 4,026. So 85 Octane is fine there too. Near sea level I would probably run 89 and 93 Octane as recommended if I had pre-detonation, but then that's over 800 miles from Colorado, excluding the California desert.

Colorado gas sales by Octane level. Gallons per day.
dc193f22-a219-4b2b-8046-3d5d290b1083_1920x1080.jpg

Last edited:
Not so much in modern EFI engines. But that doesn't apply to lawn mowers and Onan Gennys. IMO, both use an ancient design, especially the gennys. Even my Honda lawn mower needs no elevation adjustment. It has a CV carb.

My 2022 RV's Onan has an elevation adjustment. No CV carb. 1960's design, IMAO.

-Don- Reno, NV
My CB750 has four of those CV carbs. In reading through the service receipts I got with the bike, The PO had "high altitude jets" installed in the carbs, so there's adjustment of sorts. I guess that makes sense since it came from Albuquerque. I view that as a plus, considering where I spend my summers. It did run fine in the lower altitudes of Arkansas, though. My kid with the F700GS rode the Honda and thinks it's got more pep than his Beemer.

My CB750 has four of those CV carbs.
Yep, and I remember the "750-Four" with the full-page advertisements on the rear page of cycling magazines. Claimed it could do a quarter mile in 12.7 seconds. They were advertising that before I was drafted into the army in 1969. It also had a front disk brake, unlike my 1971 BMW that I purchased (for $1,845.00) after I got out of the army with the money that was difficult to spend in the Central Highland Jungles of Vietnam. But even my 71 BMW came with CV carbs.

I see your CB750 is a 1979 model.

I would say Onan has some catching up to do.

-Don- Reno, NV

Last edited:
Yep, and I remember the "750-Four" with the full-page advertisements on the rear page of cycling magazines. Claimed it could do a quarter mile in 12.7 seconds. They were advertising that before I was drafted into the army in 1969. It also had a front disk brake, unlike my 1971 BMW that I purchased (for $1,845.00) after I got out of the army with the money that was difficult to spend in the Central Highland Jungles of Vietnam. But even my 71 BMW came with CV carbs.

I see your CB750 is a 1979 model.

I would say Onan has some catching up to do.

-Don- Reno, NV
Yup, Front disc, rear drum, and about 10 more horsepower than the '69 because of the DOHC 16-valve motor. The first gen SOHC motors didn't have CV carbs, the '79 was the first year for that too.

I had an '82 Lowrider FXSB, was rear-ended with less than 3,000 miles. Replaced it with an '83 Lowrider, last of the shovels, still have it today.
My wife had an '85 FXEF Superglide Fatbob. Only year they made it with an EVO motor and a 4 speed chain drive transmission. Out of 5 Harleys we owned over the years, that was the most dependable.

I always pour the appropriate amount of Sta-Bil in my tank prior to filling it full for storage. Once full, start the generator and let it run 50 percent load (for 20 mins or so) and drive to storage. Park for on average 7-8 months. This is in Renton-Highlands, Wa. (Seattle area)

Starts up every time including the generator.

To clarify OCTANE,, chemicals are added to fuel to RAISE the octane and LOWER the VOLITIVITY of the fuel.. High volitivity causes explosions that break things,, higher octane fuels are designed to slow the BURN RATE and prevent explosions.. Temperatures are controlled by the engine and cooling system design..>>>Dan

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom