Eyeglasses in Mexico

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Betty,

Actually progressives usually take about 2 hours. Not sure why the second pair took as long as they did. Perhaps because I wasn't there. :)

Tom I am sure they would take both but am sure they prefer $US because it is worth more.

OK, now youhave me interested, I didn't know you could get a lens that would darken inside a car. Does anyone know the name for the lens?  I really like my transition lens but they won't work inside the car/RV.  That means I have to buy a regular pair of sunglasses just for that purpose.

My Photograys do darken in a vehicle, but they don't get as dark as they do in direct sunlight.  I got mine in Algodones, but my previous glasses made in the US behaved the same way.  Auto glass does filter most of the UV but not all.

Smokey, I would suggest that you see you doctor that preformed the implants and get a prescription from him before you get the glasses.  I would really be concerned if you saw one of the optometrists in Algodones, they just don't have the expertise that an ophthalmologist has.  I got my implant back in 87 and my cataract removed when I was 13 and that was 34 years ago.  Yes technology has improved greatly and your sight is something you never want to go cheap on.  Glasses are OK just about anywhere but the eye itself is nothing to take lightly. JMTCW

Mike

I think I will be OK Mike.  In fact it was my ophthalmologist that suggested I get another prescription during my trip.  He was just trying to save my from having to get a second prescription after things settled down.

Just a follow-up on the discussion ....

Algadones Optical has several stores within a few blocks of each other. Neither Chris nor I needed an appointment; We walked in, waited a few minutes and received the test. We did other things, including having lunch, before picking up our glasses 3 hours or so later. They currently have a deal running - 50% off a second pair. Maybe they have this deal all the time (?), but we both plan to get a second pair when we return after the FMCA rally.

The folks at AO, as in other places we visited, speak very good English and a personal check with ID was all they needed.

One caveat - expect a long line at the border when returning to the U.S.

They offer various "deals", sometimes it's 2 pair for one low price, sometimes the half price second pair that you saw.  They are one of the vendors that take checks, many only take cash.

If you go early in the day, the lines coming out aren't nearly as long.  We usually go just when they open so are out of there before noon.

If you go early in the day, the lines coming out aren't nearly as long.

We did, although we could have left a little earlier. I'm told the line was much shorter than it might have been, but it was still a little bit of a wait. We were kinda cooking in the sun, but probably not as much as we would have later in the day or the year. It's all relative I guess.

Tom said:
We did, although we could have left a little earlier. I'm told the line was much shorter than it might have been, but it was still a little bit of a wait. We were kinda cooking in the sun, but probably not as much as we would have later in the day or the year. It's all relative I guess.

Well, you were probably entertained by the Mexican dancer in full regalia. Can hear him all over town. :)

LOL Jim, he was dancing and playing outside the same store all day.

Tom:

We also stopped in Algodonas last week and bought galsses at Best Optical (Owned by Algodonas Optical's owner). We had current presciptions and were out of there in 2 1/2 hours. (That's the real cost of glasses-two hours of Sue shopping ;D)

Unfortunately they did not align my progressive lenses correctly so I will be going back Wed when I have teeth cleaning scheduled with Dr Luna.

Sorry to hear that Jeff.

BTW what does Dr. Luna charge for dental hygiene?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom