Factory Towing Package

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hatman52

How can I tell if my new-to-me 1995 Jayco 2950 (Class C/Ford E350 chassis) is equipped with a factory tow package?  I need to add a brake controller.  If it has the factory tow package and I can use the plug-and-play harness, I'll do it myself -- it's easier than getting the motorhome to a dealer and having them do it.  However, if it doesn't have the factory package and I have to snake wires through the firewall, etc., then I'd rather the dealer do it.

Any ideas?

Mark

There may be some help on this web page, which describes factory wiring harness wire colors. You might be able to identify the wires you have. 

http://www.marksrv.com/wiring.htm

The chassis used for motorhomes typically have the wiring harness, but it is an individual coach builder's decision and can change from year to year and model to model.  You might contact Jayco and ask - they may still have the original build data for 1995 models.

Mark

What do you plan to tow with the class C? Most class C do not have a lot of capacity to tow much more than a 15 ft aluminum boat.

Nelson

I've got that covered, thanks.  Again, what I'm looking for is assistance with determining if the motorhome is equipped with the factory towing package.

Thanks.

Mark

Have you tried contacting the manufacturer?  If you contact the manufacturer and provide the Vin number and the manufacturers serial number they may be able to confirm whether or not the tow package or wiring was installed.

Ron said:
Have you tried contacting the manufacturer?? If you contact the manufacturer and provide the Vin number and the manufacturers serial number they may be able to confirm whether or not the tow package or wiring was installed.

Yep, sent them an e-mail a few days ago but haven't heard back.  Wanted to do the work this weekend, so I was hoping someone might have an idea of how to identify if the factory towing package had been installed.

Thanks.

Mark

I found the answer to my question and thought I'd pass it along in case it can help someone else.  If you have the towing package on a Ford, there will be a square female plug with six wires -- three over three -- located just to the left of the steering column.

I also heard back from Jayco and they did confirm the RV did have the factory towing package.

Mark

Back
Top Bottom