Faded decal on front of Fifth-wheel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sc4668

The front decal on the front of my Denali fiver is getting faded, its not cracked just faded. I have used rubbing compound and a good wax and it helped a little. Was wondering if I clear coated the front decal and area. What do you all think, any other suggestions?

You should ask the vehicle manufacturer for a new one. If they balk, ask them why they provided a federal certification label that does not meet the permeant legibility clause stipulated in the vehicle certification regulation.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/567.4 

I think he is talking about the Denali artwork on the front, not the federal certification label.

As for clear-coating, it may slow the weathering a bit but sun will still penetrate and fade it.  I'm doubtful it will help much, but maybe there is nothing to lose by traying.  Would you spray the entire front, or try to do the decal alone?

I can?t tell what your decal looks like but eBay has some that are just
?Denali?.  You may be able to order the mountain scene from a printer. 

What length and floor plan?  Just curious.

Mary

If you google RV Decals, there are several vendors who will be happy to provide a replacement.

Personally, I would choose a picture, maybe Mt Denali and have a decal made from it to fit the front of the camper.

The problem is most manufacturers pick the cheapest material possible. You need a good laminated decal. Check out your local truck or vehicle graphics shops for options

Thanks for the responses. I have been doing more research and found a product from CostaCoat that restores faded paint and decals on boats and RV's. Has anyone used this product?

Not going to replace the graphics, takes to long to remove and is a pain to install new ones and have them look good. Just going to refurbish the old ones.

sc4668 said:
Not going to replace the graphics, takes to long to remove and is a pain to install new ones and have them look good. Just going to refurbish the old ones.
You might still call a local graphics place for advise.  They might have some magic product that does wonders  :))

EDIT:  came across this, looks promising?  https://www.mckeesrv.com/rv-vinyl-decal-graphic-restorer.html

I'll be interested to hear how any of these products performs. I'm under the impression that the problem with decals is sun fading/bleaching, not surface dirt & grime that can be removed.

Talked with CostaCoat and they sell a kit which contains a fine scotch bright pad , cleaner and the wax they have some before and after pictures and it looks promising. My decals are not cracked or pealing lust faded and they say this will work. Going to order a kit and give it a try. $85 a lot less than the cost of removal and new graphics quoted $800 to $1000 for the replacement.

You can get a suitable 3M abrasive pad and some vinyl cleaner for a lot less than $85. I'd try a pad on my own before ordering the allegedly better stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=3m+abrasive+pads

I already tried that and used the Mcguires fine rubbing compound. Did not work cleaned but did not bring back the colors. I ordered will be here 1 July will post results.

sc4668 said:
I already tried that and used the Mcguires fine rubbing compound. Did not work cleaned but did not bring back the colors. I ordered will be here 1 July will post results.

You say the colors are gone so I don't think anything will bring the color back. All it may do is make them shiny.

I wonder if Testor?s Model paints has the right colors.  It would take time and a steady hand but should hold up well. 

Back
Top Bottom