Favorite features?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarieB

Hi all -

We're still in the RV research phase (we=couple in our early 60's, husband retired, wife working another year or so).  We're renting a small C class next week ;-) to check it out for ourselves.  Right now we're thinking smaller C class, 2005 to 2013, corner bed.  Nothing else on the must have list right now.

I've spent a fair amount of time researching via this forum, friends, and other web sites and feel much more knowledgeable about basics than I did a few months ago.  I found a 2002 article in the Library section re: desirable features, and while I"m sure some items are still valid, I'd like to ask you experienced folks in the "Framily" what current features you love now, or wish you had. 

I've seen the advice to have a list of must haves, wants, and don't-cares to use when shopping, but there are so many options, I'm not sure how important any specific item will be once we're rolling along enjoying the scenery and looking for a nice spot for a hike, lunch, and afternoon nap. ;-)  We plan on lots of dry camping and forest service/state and national park campgrounds.  We're experienced tenters, so a real mattress and roof will be luxuries in themselves. ;-)

Anyone willing to share current favorite features will be appreciated - (things like how important is a 3 way fridge, or an inverter, or ??)

Thanks in advance.

Marie - known as Gramarie to some of her favorite people!
no rv yet - just dreams and plans

Had to chuckle about moving from a tent to a real bed. I remember when a pop up was the ultimate in luxury! Renting is a great idea, maybe you'll rethink that corner bed. Hint - they're a pain to make in the morning.

Two-way fridge is very important if you're doing a lot of dry camping. You won't find a lot (perhaps none) with a three-way; they can kill the battery pretty quickly running on 12 volts. Inverter is only important if you want to run 110 volt items while off the grid, and you'll be limited by the amount of battery capacity you have on board. After 7 years with our current motorhome I finally bought an inverter this spring, but haven't installed it yet. You mileage may vary.

One important item is to have a generator either for boundocking or just riding along with the house A/C running down a hot summer day ! Other items such as an inverter, solar panels and banks of batteries are great but are very expensive compared to a generator.

If you can ignore the cost my favorite feature is the hydraulic leveling system; pull on site, push button - level :)

My wife's favorite is the double sink. She refused to consider a MH without one.

I agree with HappyWanderer about the bed. We had a class C back in the mid 80's which had a corner bed. We hated it and we were in our mid 30's. It would be nearly impossible now, being in our mid 60's.

One more voice here for a walk-around bed! Climbing out at night and making the bed are both a royal pain when one side is against a wall. My other "gotta-haves" are a big enough shower that I can actually use it, a stove and and oven (many RVs and trailers assume you use a microwave - we don't), and comfortable seating. Get the most storage you can find; it is really important for the longer trips you will take when everyone is retired.

we moved from a popup to our current class c

walk around bed was on our must have list.

I really wanted power levelers, but didn't get them and so far have not been able to justify the added cost of installing them.  So far we've been lucky with fairly level sites.

We like the power awning, but suppose that's pretty much standard.

Most of everything else is just personal preference regarding layout/floorplan/features.

Visit lots of dealers
RV shows are great opportunities to walk in a lot of different plans..... you'll know when something doesn't fit.

Class C's seem better suited to families and for shorter/occasional trips... GENERALLY speaking, but I don't view this as absolute.

The bigger the coach the more you'll likely want to tow a car, so there's tradeoffs.

If that's what you'r plans are, you might consider the smaller A coaches that are becoming very common.... Vegas, Axis, and Ace by Thor....billed as Recreational Utility Vehicles.... well suited to short weekend type trips over the traditional larger class A coaches which might be better suited to full time or part time living for a couple.  I'm sure other manufacturers are making them too, but I don't know the names....

I travel solo and owned an older Class C for two years. The number one need (had to have or could be installed) for the next RV was electric windshield sunscreen and blackout shades. My current unit has electric MCD's on the windshield and manual on all other windows.

Ah, the power awning. Absolutely hate mine and will never own another one. It's an expensive sun screen that must be rolled up in bad weather.

I don't know if you were considering an RV without slides, but the difference in livability is night and day, even for just two people. Yes, some folks have had problems with theirs, but the majority of slide problems have been figured out and resolved. (Although one manufacturer seems to still have some recurring problems.)

I'm with the others on walk-around beds. Making a corner bed is a real PITA. You wouldn't think it would be, but it is (Unless, of course, you don't make your bed). But there are walk-around beds and walk-around beds. Our last Class A had no bedroom slide, and the "walk-around" area on the sides of the bed were so narrow that we had to slide sideways along the walls. When we were done making the bed, we had to crawl onto the bed to get out of the room. If we tried to slinky along the sides, we'd drag the covers off. (Funny, the things you remember about RVing :) )

Kev

HappyWanderer said:
Ah, the power awning. Absolutely hate mine and will never own another one. It's an expensive sun screen that must be rolled up in bad weather.

Who mentioned awnings? Or did you mistake the mention of MCD sunscreen (indoors stuff) for an awning?

Larry N. said:
Who mentioned awnings? Or did you mistake the mention of MCD sunscreen (indoors stuff) for an awning?

Brad mentioned power awning. I have one and really like it. I snowbird in the winter and leave it extended for 4 months. I built legs to support each end and tie it down with 2 ratchet straps.

Rene T said:
Brad mentioned power awning. I have one and really like it. I snowbird in the winter and leave it extended for 4 months. I built legs to support each end and tie it down with 2 ratchet straps.

You had to build legs to support it. My point exactly.

Second the no corner bed.  We also like bedside tables for "stuff" at night, like my glasses that must be near me.  Also, for us a double sink in the kitchen and a propane range and oven were essential.  Like and use both them and the convection/microwave.  I've been seeing corner kitchen sinks in the RV magazines and there's little to no space around those sinks for dirty dishes and wet ones just washed.  Don't know where people will put such things as just-washed celery and other produce.  Really dumb sink placement in my opinion.  Make sure you sit on The Throne because some don't have much knee space or elbow room.  They might be okay for smaller people, but not smaller people.

Three-way refrigerators are pretty much a thing of the past.  For boondocking we prefer 2-way with propane but residential refrigerators are big right now and you have to understand power management to run them on batteries.  They also have other electrical needs.  In other words, propane/electric refrigerators are easier for new RVers until they have a better understanding of how to manage all their power needs.

A lot of new RVers worry about the chassis, engine and such things.  Those are important but the most important thing is finding a floor plan you like and can see yourself living in for extended periods (think a week of rain and you cooped up inside with wet clothes hanging around and maybe a wet pet).  You'll want adequate space.  We're happy with two slideouts.  Some people like more but they probably aren't necessary for casual RVers (as opposed to those living full time in their RVs).  No slideouts are very limiting because there's no space to spread out (or sprawl).  You also want enough windows so you don't feel like you're living in a cave.  Another new fad is frameless windows that tip out instead of sliding open and I'm seeing a lot of negative comments on them.  Personally I'd hate them but you might not.  If you enjoy open windows and lots of fresh air, frameless vs. sliding windows is a concern.

We can go on and on, but you need to read everything you can in RVing magazines and in forums such as this.  Don't rush into a purchase decision.  And, yes, start those lists.  Don't be afraid to ask here on the RV Forum what we think of a specific feature such as those windows.  There are lots of choices and they can be overwhelming which is why lists are good.  Have fun planning and looking!

ArdraF

We have a 23' class C and love it, despite the corner bed.  I have to admit that we use our MH for transportation rather than camping.  It gives us a place to relax after a day of driving and a place to crash after a day of touring and visiting.  My jmust have when we bought it was a rear view camera.  As a matter of fact it was a deal breaker.  Keeps an eye on our toad as well as making lane changes safer.  Another nice to have is an automatic leveling system (we added after our purchase).  Beats trying to level in the rain or cold.  Happy RVing everyone.

I've had a few class C s and a few class A s. I wouldn't have another class C because of the storage space or lack of. Minimum for me would be a 30 ft class A basement model. You can park a 30 ft A in the same space as a 26ft class C or pretty close, and for me they are easier to drive and park. Hydraulic levelers are a must for me, I don't like fooling with the boards, but some time you still have to depending on the site you get. I don't like the real short class A s or C s with the dinette  and sofa directly across from each other either, makes the coach feel cramped up. I want a place to store my lawn chairs and table without putting them in the coach. I just sold my 30ft A because my DW didn't like the split bath, but it was ok for me. I owned the coach for 8 years and thought it was perfect for our purpose, but the DW wanted a larger coach. SOOOO that's what we will get.

Rene T said:
Don't forget to disconnect the electrical part of it...

I do the same also but without leg supports; I tie them with ajustable ratchet straps and hook them to a solid doorspring before hooking them to ground. The spring takes the beat when there are high winds and eveyr thing has been holding for the past 4 years.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flying B
Back
Top Bottom