Fender replacement question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShaneMorris

Hi all. I am in the depths of the remodel of 1999 Aerolite Cub. The fenders were heavily caulked and I was hoping to replace them. Now that I have the caulk off it isn't entirely clear how they are attached. It seems like some sort of force fit plug. Can I just pull these off and replace with something more modern? I don't want to end up with more of a mess than I am already dealing with. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20210907_175726.jpg
    IMG_20210907_175726.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20210907_175734.jpg
    IMG_20210907_175734.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20210907_175749.jpg
    IMG_20210907_175749.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 12
Hi Shane, I see no one has answered yet so I am just going to hope that someone will see your post soon and give you some advice.

Good luck with the renovation!

Not enough detail in the photos but it very well could be similar (or exactly like) the body clips used for auto trim. If the mountings have failed or you've otherwise decided this needs to be resolved pop the thing off and deal with whatever you find. Odds are excellent the original manufacturer did nothing remarkable or specialized to put this thing together.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Looks to be a brass to steel coupling leak
I'd shut off tank, blead lines by lighting stove, remove the steel parts and for now. Plug it with a brass plug (Same metal) using yellow tape.

I suspect this was "Home made" by the way. If you decide to retain it use all brass (Same metal)

Why? Different metals have different expansion coefficients among other things so heat/cold will eventually damage mixed metal connections.

Looks to be a brass to steel coupling leak
I'd shut off tank, blead lines by lighting stove, remove the steel parts and for now. Plug it with a brass plug (Same metal) using yellow tape.

I suspect this was "Home made" by the way. If you decide to retain it use all brass (Same metal)

Why? Different metals have different expansion coefficients among other things so heat/cold will eventually damage mixed metal connections.
John you posted in the wrong thread.

Looks like the fender could be held on the same way as on my 2018 Ford door trim. It has about 30 little plastic anchors that push into holes in the door. You can't see them without removing the trim piece. I think you might be able to see them from underneath.

Back
Top Bottom