Fiberglass Propane Tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lone_star_dsl

On our last trip of 2015, I discovered that our propane gauge is only for looks and doesn't actually do anything.  Thankfully we didn't need the furnace and I had half a bag of charcoal for the grill.

I've seen fiberglass propane tanks before but have never seen them used on an RV.  I think they would be a great replacement because you can actually see how much propane you have remaining.

Is anyone out there using the fiberglass tanks?  Would you recommend them?

Thanks

I seriously doubt plastic would be approved for a propane container given the pressures involved.

RoyM said:
I seriously doubt plastic would be approved for a propane container given the pressures involved.

They're approved and have been for quite some time.

http://vikingcylinders.com/products/lifestyle/rvcamping/

I've never heard of that before but it's pretty neat.  Color me intrigued.  I wish they had a 100lb cylinder, I just may look into being a customer if they offered it.

lone_star_dsl said:
They're approved and have been for quite some time.

http://vikingcylinders.com/products/lifestyle/rvcamping/

They were previously Ragasco cylinders. I bought two and, while they're not cheap, I love them as they're much lighter in weight and I can see exactly how much propane I have any time.

Be aware that there may still be some "Lite" cylinders out there somewhere on the used market. They have been recalled and are not considered safe for use.

http://www.phmsa.dot.gov/portal/site/PHMSA/menuitem.6f23687cf7b00b0f22e4c6962d9c8789/?vgnextoid=7c7384ae997be310VgnVCM100000d2c97898RCRD&vgnextchannel=d248724dd7d6c010VgnVCM10000080e8a8c0RCRD

Ken

Different company than the "viking" company. Recall was for the "Lite Cylinder Company" of Tennessee. "Viking" co. is from Norway.

I am intrigued. Jackquontee says he has been using some from a company called Ragasco and made it sound as if that company is now Viking.

Jackquontee is that correct? What size do you use? Do you ever have a problem getting them filled? I mean do some folks balk at filling them as perhaps they have never seen them? 

Thanks in advance
Oak

Yep, you're right Oak. But someone reading the thread could find a fiberglass tank at a garage sale and think they had a good deal if no one every told them about the Lite recall. Folks like RoyM didn't know they existed at all, so he might fall victim if he wasn't warned. Now the folks that didn't know before have a little thing in the back of their brain to think about a recall.

Ken

Good point Ken. I had never heard of them, and I can't be the only one.......
OK maybe I could but.......... ;D

I still am wondering if my typical RV park guy would balk at filling one. 

The Viking company says yes you can see how much propane is in their tanks, at least the smaller ones like we would use RV'ing.

I am now of the age and back configuration where weight becomes a factor in a lot of things, so I am hoping someone with experience using them on their RV will chime in here.
Oak

I just checked..519$ for a 7.5 gallon..  not cheap indeed... nor going to be in widespread use with RVs at that price..

I like the concept though...

Fiberglass or carbon-fiber wrapped cylinders are a different animal. I deal with them daily in the fire service. First off, proper cylinders can withstand extremely high pressures in excess of 4,500psi. But here lies the issues with these types of cylinders:

1. They must be cared for. Damage the fiber wrap and the end result is a sudden loss of pressure and an instant projectile. Certain cleaning products or fluids will "eat" through the fibers and you have the same failure, just delayed, as it will happen when you least expect it.  UV exposure also degrades the fibers.

2. You must have them hydro-statically tested every three to five years depending on the material used.

3. Due to the construction methods and the materials used, cost is usually prohibitive for recreational applications.

Bottom line is that these type of cylinders work great in some applications but not so great in others. Propane storage? I would not recommend them for RV use.  Just my .02 worth!

frosty42 said:
Fiberglass or carbon-fiber wrapped cylinders are a different animal. I deal with them daily in the fire service. First off, proper cylinders can withstand extremely high pressures in excess of 4,500psi. But here lies the issues with these types of cylinders:

1. They must be cared for. Damage the fiber wrap and the end result is a sudden loss of pressure and an instant projectile. Certain cleaning products or fluids will "eat" through the fibers and you have the same failure, just delayed, as it will happen when you least expect it.  UV exposure also degrades the fibers.

2. You must have them hydro-statically tested every three to five years depending on the material used.

3. Due to the construction methods and the materials used, cost is usually prohibitive for recreational applications.

Bottom line is that these type of cylinders work great in some applications but not so great in others. Propane storage? I would not recommend them for RV use.  Just my .02 worth!

Thanks for the information. I like this site because there are so many people who work on so many things and we all  benefit from their knowledge.

Oak said:
Different company than the "viking" company. Recall was for the "Lite Cylinder Company" of Tennessee. "Viking" co. is from Norway.

I am intrigued. Jackquontee says he has been using some from a company called Ragasco and made it sound as if that company is now Viking.

Jackquontee is that correct?
Yes, that is correct.

What size do you use?
17 lb.

Do you ever have a problem getting them filled? I mean do some folks balk at filling them as perhaps they have never seen them?
No, I get them filled at my local Ace Hardware store no problem, although they were intrigued when I first brought them in to be filled.

grassy said:
I just checked..519$ for a 7.5 gallon..  not cheap indeed...

Not quite sure what you're referencing but it certainly couldn't be these.....http://vikingcylinders.com/product-category/lifestyle/

robertusa123 said:
Had on on a forklift.  It was not transparent.    Just light weight and rustproof
Unless we're talking about different brands of cylinders, the ones I have (which I previously noted are the former Ragasco, now Viking) can easily be seen through. Not in the way you'd see through clear glass, but certainly enough to see your propane level. I will definitely continue to buy them as I need them.

And, no, outside of being a customer, I have nothing whatsoever to do with the company.

frosty42 said:

You make it sound like care and maintenance is a hardship. Hardship is carrying an all steel bottle 6 floors on your back before you go to work. (that's 6 floors up, both ways........  :D) The wrapped bottles are a god send. A 60 minute bottle? Best thing since sliced bread. 4500 is way better than 2216.

Ken

I found them online for about $230 for the 17#. The have to be visually recertified every 5 years and there are a limited number of recertification places. The nearest one to Dallas was in Nebraska. Any place can fill them but I'm certain they would be reluctant. Viking recommends that you print a "Filling Certificate" from their web site that gives the DOT approved Manufacture ID and special permit number of the units for your supplier to see.

bucks2 said:
You make it sound like care and maintenance is a hardship. Hardship is carrying an all steel bottle 6 floors on your back before you go to work. (that's 6 floors up, both ways........  :D) The wrapped bottles are a god send. A 60 minute bottle? Best thing since sliced bread. 4500 is way better than 2216.

Ken

A fellow smoke-eater! Been there with the steel bottles..don't miss it. I spec'd out our last SCBA purchase and we have the 4500psi bottles. Love them. The maintenance is more, however, as my SCBA guy spends a ton of money keeping all of them in-service.

jackquontee said:
Not quite sure what you're referencing but it certainly couldn't be these.....http://vikingcylinders.com/product-category/lifestyle/

Yup..in Canada... :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjay
Back
Top Bottom