Fifth wheel insurance for a stationary unit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

frosty

We recently traded up to a newer fifth wheel.  I had the insurance agent transfer our policy to the new unit, which will sit in a seasonal campground (all year).  The carrier, Progressive now says they will not cover our fifth wheel insurance because the unit is stationary. 

I tried other carriers and found out something else.  If your unit sits within 1500 feet of a river (size does not matter), several of the major carriers do not want to underwrite the unit. 

Anyone else come across this?

That's a new one on me. Even if you tow it frequently, it is still "stationary" somewhere 24/7/365. I wonder if their real concern is that it is effectively stored away from home, in an uncontrolled environment. Their premiums are probably based on you being either in the rig (active use) or stored at your home for a limited access storage facility.

My RV policy has a surcharge if I use the rig more than 150 nights/year. No additional coverage - just extra premium to cover usage beyond what they considered typical when they set the rates.

I suggest trying an agency that specializes in RV insurance and tell them that it is parked seasonally. They will find an insurer (or several) that will provide coverage and do the rate shopping for you as well. Agencies like Miller, Gilbert, and Tobin do that sort of thing. You could also try National Interstates own agency, Explorer RV. The worst they can say is "no" but the handle most all RV insurance scenarios,

You are correct.  The nature of the rig being in an uncontrolled environment much of the time in a stationary site is the sticking point. .  Also, the Progressive policy I had has no provision for liability when it is unattached from a tow vehicle. 

I will be going from  a 267 annual policy premium to a 547 premium.  The 547 dollar premium supposedly is the correct policy.  The insured value of the unit is 29000.  Is 547 normal?

There is no "normal" for RV insurance. There are so many factors in the rating, and they differ from company to company, that it is all but impossible to compare one persons costs to another. Two neighbors with identical rigs, insured by the same company, may have wildly different costs because of things like personal history, their job and credit rating, other insurance, etc.

It sounds as though the different between your two quotes is the addition of liability coverage and $300 for a years worth of liability sounds a bit high. All the liability for my motorhome doesn't come anywhere near that. On the other hand, if you had a seasonal cabin, I'm sure a home-owner type liability policy would cost at least that much. I would still suggest shopping around. Your insurer isn't doing you any favors.

We use our RV all year and have GMAC RV insurance via Good Sam.

The insurance literature that is included in our policy states that when the RV is parked, stationary for 30 days or more, the insurance premium is discounted for the parked time. Ours is not parked for 30 days at a time so I cannot give more info.

You might check out GMAC insurance.

frosty said:
We recently traded up to a newer fifth wheel.  I had the insurance agent transfer our policy to the new unit, which will sit in a seasonal campground (all year).  The carrier, Progressive now says they will not cover our fifth wheel insurance because the unit is stationary. 

I tried other carriers and found out something else.  If your unit sits within 1500 feet of a river (size does not matter), several of the major carriers do not want to underwrite the unit. 

Anyone else come across this?
It's been a while since your post but I'll pass this on anyway.  We were with GMAC as full timers for about 5 years.  When we blocked and anchored our Park Trailer, in Florida,  they dropped us like a "hot potato".  On the advise of a Progressive agent,  we were told to try Foremost for this application.  We did and they fixed us right up.  They carry us as if we were a mobile home, which gives us better overall coverage.  Good luck.
Dave

Interesting!!! I bought my unit and tied it down in Southwest Florida just after the last hurricane and was unable to get any insurance anywhere, including from the two providers mentioned. I even tried to get simple liability, no personal property damage in case, for example, a park worker  or anyone else was hurt on my property. Nope!!!

The agents first question was always "Tied down or not" ? If "tied down" was the answer, the next thing out of their mouths was "Sorry!! Can't help you!".

In fact, many/most of the tied down trailers in the same park at that time had their insurance CANCELLED, claim or no claim,  before the next  renewal....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jasondenman
Back
Top Bottom