Fifth Wheel Not Level While Towing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Suthrn1

28' Fifth Wheel

Previous truck was 98 Dodge 3500 2WD LWB

Purchased an 04.5 Chevrolet 2500HD D-Max 4WD SWB

As you would guess, there is an increased height between the two tow vehicles. I had a slider added to my Reese Hitch. It is adjusted all the way down. I have no more adjustment on the king pin box to lower it. I have plenty of clearance between overhang and bed rails of truck. My problem is that my 5'er does not ride level. I am really worried about "dragging" the rear of my 5'er, especially the jacks.

I'm scratching my head. Really don't know what can be done. Not new, by any means, to towing.
Any advice ??? Would welding on some skid rollers help ?? Best I can tell, they would add roughly 2.5" of protection/help if I weld them to the frame just in front of the bumper.

Any help GREATLY appreciated.

Suthrn1:

No responses as of yet.... (05:17 AM in Hamburg, Pa.) thought I'd jump in......

Considered purchase of small 5Th wheel unit myself recently and was worried about same thing (problem with level of trailer). I travel the roads and "boondock" a lot..., soooo need trailer level while hooked up to TV.

One consideration is to change the "axles to springs" arrangement. There are around "four inches" to gain/lose (?) in this area. At least with the small trailers I've been associated with to date.

A picture would help a lot.

Good luck.... someone will help!

"Flipping" the axles is one common solution. You move the trailer axles to the bottom of the springs rather than the top, which raises the trailer frame around 4 inches, as Bojangles says. The downside is that you raise the center of gravity the same amount, but that usually isn't a problem.

The skid wheels might keep you from tearing off a jack, but boy will you get a jolt when they hit! And since the skids project down even further than the jacks and frame, you are even more likely to scrape once you add them. Sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

How far off-level are you? Are we talking a few inches or several?  Could you post a picture to illustrate?

I had a similar problem with my new (2006 Jayflight 245RBS) 5'er but was lucky.  Jayco engineered an adjustable bracket into the suspension that allowed me to lift the trailer 2 inches without having to flip the axles.  Lifting it 2 inches and lowering the hitch 1 inch proved successful.  I can now overnight on a relatively flat site without having to disconnect.

As stated above flipping the axle is an option and it is not too difficult.  My dealer quoted me $200 to do it on my rig if the lift above didn't work.  What is important is making sure that rerouted cables and hoses are PROPERLY rerouted and secured so as not to create new problems.

BLUF (Bottom line up front):  It's doable and not too expensive.

Good Luck,
:)

Yes, I can snap a photo with truck hitched to rv. I will have to wait. We received a large amt of rain and my yard is saturated. Will need to let it dry in order to get to camper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skinldy71
Back
Top Bottom