Fifth-wheel vs. motorhome revisited

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

davem1958

I read several posts comparing 5th wheel's to motorhomes, and I have yet another angle to consider.

I've been a full-timer for about 3 years in a gas Holiday Rambler Vacationer (a nice first RV, IMO).  However, I'm almost up to my CCC, and I'd like to have a motorcycle and a W/D.  Either would put me over the limit.  So I thought about trading it for a diesel, with more weight, but can't afford it right now.  I have a tow dolly pulling a Honda Civic to get me to work and back.  I get 7-8 mpg, so it's expensive to drive, but I only drive to my new job, then I commute in the Civic.

It occured to me that for the same or less money, I could buy a 5th wheel, such as the Presidential, put a motorcycle on the back, and have plenty of money left to buy a truck to haul it.  However, I've never owned a truck, so that would be a big change, and don't have a clue where to start looking.  The high-end Holiday Ramblers are around 17,000 lbs, so I'm sure it won't be an ordinary truck.  Is it Ford or Chevy, or are there other options?  I would ride the motorcycle to work, weather permitting.

Let me know if I'm way off base, or just add your two cents.  :)

Dave

Dave,

Some thoughts.  We have a 5er and are evolving from long trips with short stays to short trips with long stays.

One of major advantages of a motorhome is that you can tow a small car.  A one ton dodge is ok on paved roads but is rough off the pavement and gets tiresome in crowded areas.

I've considered a motorcycle on the back.  You run into issues there with the weight and lever arm.  It's not the static weight, but the dynamic stress.

17,000 is a heavy 5er.  The weight/capacity experts will chime in but I think you're into 450+ range, more expensive and bigger than the 3/4 & 1 ton pickups.

My suggestion is that it is an excellent time to pick up a used diesel pusher and buy a pickup big enough for your motor cycle.  Here's a picture of Jim Dick's setup.

Joel

17k lbs is near the outer limits for a one ton pick-up (F350 or Chevy/Dodge 3500's, but there are configurations of a one tone that will haul that much.  The big truck may get you a bit better fuel economy than the gas motorhome while towing (though the newest ones seem to get poor mpg) and certainly worse than your Civic when used solo. The motorcycle will help, of course.

Hmmm, hadn't thought of putting the bike in the truck.  If I do that, I could probably pull a light-duty truck with my current motorhome.  I think I can pull 5,000 lbs with the Vacationer.

Is it a bit challenging getting the bike up the ramp?

Something to consider...

My suggestion is that it is an excellent time to pick up a used diesel pusher and buy a pickup big enough for your motor cycle.

Its very easy to get the motorcycle into the back of a truck using a ramp.  The trick is NOT to do it on level ground.  Instead find a curb, hilll, or steep driveway incline.  Back the truck up the incline with the tail gate down.  This will effectively lower your tailgate height, and the ramp will be at a much less steep angle.

Then, walk the motorcycle up the ramp.  Use the motorcycle engine to assist you, but  don't sit on the bike while going up the ramp.

Easy as cake.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob007
Back
Top Bottom