Filling the FW Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KodiakRV

My "campground" fresh water hookup is on the driver's side.  The upressurized fill opening for the fresh water tank is on the vehicle's right side.  Is there an alternate way to fill the fresh water tank while hooked up to a pressurized source on the driver's side?

mfa said:
My "campground" fresh water hookup is on the driver's side.  The unpressurized fill opening for the fresh water tank is on the vehicle's right side.  Is there an alternate way to fill the fresh water tank while hooked up to a pressurized source on the driver's side?

That depends upon the installation in your RV. If you can fill the tank while hooked up to city service there should be a "Tank Fill" position on a water inlet valve in your RV. Since it has an unpressurized fill port they odds are probably against you having one.

Jeff Cousins said:
Since it has an unpressurized fill port they odds are probably against you having one.

FYI I have both on our Monaco Jeff.

We have both on our 1997 Endeavor LE.  Never use the gravity fill as the city water inlet is filtered, so we only put filtered water into the tank.

Thanks for the replies.  I haven't seen any "tank fill" valves, but I'll keep looking.  There are a number of valves around the FW tank having to do with draining the system and there may be a valve marked "bypass", but I'm going from memory here until I go back to the storage place.

I've seen it done, but I haven't done it. All you need is a "T" in the FW pressure line then a valve with a line going to a "T" in the FW fill hose. I guess a lot would depend on how far apart that stuff is. On mine the line would have to have been put under the floor, which is enclosed underneath. Also there wasn't a handy place for the valve.

Boy do you folks like to do things the hard way.

There is a check valve in your fresh water pump, (that is hte pump that pulls water out of the FW tank)

Simply pick up a pair of "T" fittings, a valve and a bit of pipe and a few elbows.  Unhook the water line from the pump filter inlet and install a "T",  Hook it back up, now do the same on the pump outlet,  Hook the two "T"s together with a valve

Valve closed, normal operation, Valve open, Bypasses the pump's check valve and allows city water to fill your FW tank.

Method 2 involves the same idea, however in this case you have a special "Fill port" on the FW tank, and you use only one "T" and route to the fill port.

Method 3 is use a water theif on the sink and run the hose out via the kitchen window into the fill port (simpliest of all)  note, some sinks you don't need the water theif, a simple 1/2 inch coupler, nipple and 1/2 to garden hose connector and you can replace the sink head with a garden hose.. (this is the kind where the sink facuet is a on a flex hose that pulls out)

All very simple

A "Water theif" is a rubber adapter that slips over the sink areator and has a garden hose fitting

John your methods are sorta the same thing I seen, everything was in one area though. In mine the pump, winterizing stuff etc. is under the couch and the FW tank is under one of the kitchen cabinets. The panel under the front of the couch has to be removed to get at that area. The frame has a plastic cover underneath that hides all the stuff from the bottom also. I could probably put the valve in that panel but I'm not sure I'd want to deal with my wife on that.

Back
Top Bottom