Finally more relaxed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RREngr

Just wanted to share that we just returned from our third short trip with the MH.  I finally was able to relax and enjoy the ride on this trip.  Before I was so concerned about how big and wide the MH was, and constantly watching the lines in the road, and our toad vehicle on the monitor.  (Rich was much more relaxed and he is the one doing the driving, but he has experience driving big things such as church buses and railroad engines!)  I think I can finally say I am going to enjoy our trips with the MH.  Not sure if I will ever be brave enough to drive it--maybe out in the desert where there is no traffic around!  I know some of you say your wives drive the MH and I have the utmost admiration for them.  All things seem to get better with practice. Happy traveling to all. Kay

Glad to hear you are beginning to enjoy your trips more and are becoming to relax.  I'm sure you will enjoy each trip more and more.

RREngr said:
Just wanted to share that we just returned from our third short trip with the MH.  I finally was able to relax and enjoy the ride on this trip.  Before I was so concerned about how big and wide the MH was, and constantly watching the lines in the road, and our toad vehicle on the monitor.  (Rich was much more relaxed and he is the one doing the driving, but he has experience driving big things such as church buses and railroad engines!)  I think I can finally say I am going to enjoy our trips with the MH.  Not sure if I will ever be brave enough to drive it--maybe out in the desert where there is no traffic around!  I know some of you say your wives drive the MH and I have the utmost admiration for them.  All things seem to get better with practice. Happy traveling to all. Kay

Howdy, Kay.
Glad to hear that you are relaxing a little more. Our first motorhome was a 38', 1995 Safari Serengeti(bought new from factory). The first couple of times I drove that coach I gripped the steering wheel so tightly that my forearms were sore! I then received some good advice from our dealer. She said to learn to use the mirrors to judge where the coach was located in the traffic lane and only drive at the speed at which I was really comfortable, even if was only 50 mph. Then she gave me some advice about handling the coach when an 18 wheeler is passing the motorhome. Don't oversteer to correct the position of the coach as it would only move a small amount. Just grip the wheel a little tighter. When the 18 wheeler finally passes, the coach will come back to it's original position. Now I realize that this depends upon the size and weight of the motorhome involved.  My Serengeti weighed approximately 25,000 lbs. My present coach is a 40', Blue Bird Wanderlodge which weighs approximately 48,000 lbs and those 18 wheelers don't even move it when they are passing.

I am confident that the more you drive your motorhome, the more comfortable you will become. Way to go, girl!!!

Regards,
Liz

Back
Top Bottom