First time buyer. MSRP vs final dealer offer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ISLANDMIND

Looking to buy my first RV and I need some advice.

Is the suggested MSRP for a specific new RV model, the same MSRP at all dealerships?
Should the final offer by the dealer be in the 20-30% range?

If not, can the manufacturer have any influence or input to suggest that the dealer lower the MSRP to a suggested range?
I'm seeing different a much higher MSRP at a dealership near me when comparing the RV to other dealerships or sites; with no apparent upgrades.
Consequently, the dealership is offering a much higher final price; about 10k more.

Is this just the 'norm' now in this abby normal state now?

Looking to buy my first RV and I need some advice.

Is the suggested MSRP for a specific new RV model, the same MSRP at all dealerships?
Should the final offer by the dealer be in the 20-30% range?

If not, can the manufacturer have any influence or input to suggest that the dealer lower the MSRP to a suggested range?
I'm seeing different a much higher MSRP at a dealership near me when comparing the RV to other dealerships or sites; with no apparent upgrades.
Consequently, the dealership is offering a much higher final price; about 10k more.

Is this just the 'norm' now in this abby normal state now?
I go to the web to find the lowest price then demand that price from my local dealer or I walk. With the virus RV prices have gone up. My unit is selling for what I paid for it five years ago. It's crazy.

Last edited:
First of all, the actual MSRP is issued by the factory and not the dealer. However, an MSRP window sticker is not mandated for RVs and it is common for RV dealers to substitute their own higher price sheet. The dealer price often has optional and exensive stuff added in, e.g. "paint protection", or adds fee for services that the manufacturer intended to be included in the original MSRP. Be very careful to determine what price the dealer is starting from when he promises a sale or discount price.

Also view internet stories about discounts with some skepticism, because they are often unclear as to whether the claimed discount percentage started from the factory MSRP or included dealer fees (or not).

It's not unusual for dealers to advertise or agree to attractive-sounding discounts but then add to the bottom line things that are necessary and should have been included in the selling price. Examples are "dealer prep" or "pre-delivery inspection" or a direct "dealer fee".

That said, you should be able to get 20%-22% off the actual factory MSRP before adding in delivery charges and taxes. Some very popular models may even be less. If you get 30% or more, odds are there will be some additional dealer fees that bring the total back up and effectively take away the discount.

The only price that matters is the bottom line, aka the "out the door" price. Don't get hung up on a discount percentage - watch the bottom line.

Please do yourself a Hugh financial favor and DO NOT buy a new RV. New RVs have really huge depreciation curve. If after a year you discover RVing is not for you it will be difficult to sell.

Please do yourself a Hugh financial favor and DO NOT buy a new RV. New RVs have really huge depreciation curve. If after a year you discover RVing is not for you it will be difficult to sell.
That may not be true in today's market.
We recently sold out 2008 travel trailer that we had for 8 years for 2000.00 more than we paid for it. We wanted to find something similar,only with a slide.
When we starting shopping for the upgrade,we found that anything used that we were interested in was priced so close to new prices that we decided to buy new.
Dealers all said that people are not trading in because the used market is so hot.

While it is generally true buying used can avoid paying for depreciation and thus save quite a bit of money, there can be many reasons one would find advantage in buying new.

First of all, the actual MSRP is issued by the factory and not the dealer. However, an MSRP window sticker is not mandated for RVs and it is common for RV dealers to substitute their own higher price sheet. The dealer price often has optional and exensive stuff added in, e.g. "paint protection", or adds fee for services that the manufacturer intended to be included in the original MSRP. Be very careful to determine what price the dealer is starting from when he promises a sale or discount price.

Also view internet stories about discounts with some skepticism, because they are often unclear as to whether the claimed discount percentage started from the factory MSRP or included dealer fees (or not).

It's not unusual for dealers to advertise or agree to attractive-sounding discounts but then add to the bottom line things that are necessary and should have been included in the selling price. Examples are "dealer prep" or "pre-delivery inspection" or a direct "dealer fee".

That said, you should be able to get 20%-22% off the actual factory MSRP before adding in delivery charges and taxes. Some very popular models may even be less. If you get 30% or more, odds are there will be some additional dealer fees that bring the total back up and effectively take away the discount.

The only price that matters is the bottom line, aka the "out the door" price. Don't get hung up on a discount percentage - watch the bottom lineI
Its clear the advantage is for the dealers and sellers in this market.
I really wanted the Grand Design and was shocked that it was available so close to my location. It was listed MSRP at 110k, he dropped to 89k, then dropped to 82k plus TTDMV fees brought it up to 86k.
It's a hot market here too, so I think if I didn't accept that, it would be gone today.
I thought I could get it lower, but I didn't really try too hard, just asked for a lower price after the first drop.

Thanks for the advice.
I'm using it more as a 'she shack', more than I'm traveling. It's an escape place to go to when I need a break from my elderly father with dementia, and grown parasite son where we 3 reside in the same house. The alternative is a psyche breakdown.

I don't see myself selling it for several years, probably passing it to my kids/grandkids.
I know it'll depreciate as soon as it hits the road, I just need comfort and a tiny bit of luxury to take care of me right now.
They can sell it if they want. It's a win for all of us.

I personally gave up buying brand new anything with an engine that travels on wheels or floats on the water...Due diligence, qualified inspections and proactive maintenance saves a bundle in the long run, compared to paying handsomely for an item that depreciates as soon as it leaves the dealership.

I personally gave up buying brand new anything with an engine that travels on wheels or floats on the water...Due diligence, qualified inspections and proactive maintenance saves a bundle in the long run, compared to paying handsomely for an item that depreciates as soon as it leaves the dealership.
Of course a lot depends on what it is and how long you keep it, but I bought my 2007 F-150 new, paid off long ago, virtually zero trouble with it, and it should still be good for another 15-20 years and more (if I live that long), so in the long run it's cheaper than buying used and getting an unknown quantity. If I'd gotten rid of it in 5 years or so then yes, used would have been cheaper.

Ditto on DW's 2002 Mercury that we bought new -- new belts, hoses and tires and it's almost like new.

So "it depends..."

Finance guy here, and though I know this is always a hot topic (buying new vs buying gently used), I am going to jump in here to maybe tamp down the "cognitive dissonance" that might be created by those that categorically recommend to buy used. Like every other decision in life, the answer is “it depends”, on your situation and priorities.

Every major purchase I have made (cars, boats, etc), has thus far been new. For me the operative decision factor is how long you plan to own the asset, and whether you plan to replace it with another similar asset when you sell it. The longer you plan to own that specific unit, and the more times you would have had to “trade up” to get what you ultimately want, the more likely it is to make sense to buy new and buy once.

Let’s take the extreme case at one end of the spectrum – you buy the rig, and after a year decide to sell it and never buy another one. In that case, the strategy of buying used definitely makes more sense – otherwise you would have taken the entire brunt of the “drive it off the lot and take a huge depreciation hit” impact that others mention, and the pain of that depreciation only buys you one year of usage. That is a high price to value ratio.

Now on the other end of the spectrum, let’s say you are someone that gets into this and stays in it for 15-20 years. And let’s say over that time period, you go up in size and quality 2 or 3 times. Every time you trade up you 1) pay sales tax on the next purchase which you never recoup, 2) have the transaction costs of buying and selling (commission, inspection etc.), and 3) have the hassle of having to sell while you are buying or take less than retail value on your trade-in, which is in itself a case of “excess depreciation”.

In the latter case, the best option would have been for you to buy the last rig you bought up front new. The average depreciation over the time that you owned it would not be that much different from the buy used scenario, and you avoid all of the repeat transaction costs. However, if there is any chance that you might end up "1 and done", then obviously this is not the right plan.

Now that is easier said than done – it is not easy to know what you want definitively on a first purchase, but I would rather invest excess time in getting as close as I could to what works for me with an extensive assessment, analysis and reflection, and for any misses, work around them. Yes, there is no substitute for experience, and you might miss a feature or floor plan component that you would like to have in hindsight, but stacked against the hassle and cost of trading up, that is not a huge price to pay. You are also not beholden to what is available on the used market, so you can get exactly what you think you want when you buy new.

The only thing working against this strategy is the fact that quality control being what it is in this industry, and the pounding a rig takes day in and day out, there is a benefit of buying something that has been shaken down by a previous owner, but then again, shaken down can also mean shaken apart!

I am also looking to buy a first rig, and will buy new as well. I also believe in “buying up” in terms of brand reputation, both for the quality and after sale support. While I have come to the realization that the support from the dealer network is suspect at best, I always seek to find the manufacturers that have the best reputation for service and quality. I would rather give up a few feet than compromise on that.

Regarding MSRP vs out the door pricing, I have also found there is much less clarity on MSRP as compared to the auto industry. It is also a sellers market now, so negotiating room is not great. But as a baseline, I start with show discounts, which may not be “best possible” price, but is pretty close. Looking through all of the blogger videos from past shows, it does seem like 25-30% is a reasonable target in a normal market, but might be tough to get right now.

Good luck with your search!

Last edited:
Thanks, cool handle :p

Finance guy here, and though I know this is always a hot topic (buying new vs buying gently used), I am going to jump in here to maybe tamp down the "cognitive dissonance" that might be created by those that categorically recommend to buy used. Like every other decision in life, the answer is “it depends”, on your situation and priorities.
On the other hand, there's the cost of the purchase and the substantial cost of interest over the life of the loan that often exceeds the original purchase price. I've bought and sold several used rigs over the past 30 years, paying cash and upgrading each time. The grand total for all of these is about what I would have paid for a low end Class A back then, not counting inflation or interest.

I bought my current RV 5 years ago for less than $15k. It's a 1999 Ford F350 diesel pickup and a lightly used 2003 29' Sunnybrook trailer that meet about 95% of my wants and needs. They're both in very good shape and like every other rig I've owned, paying cash means they're mine free and clear. If I bought a new RV when I first started out it would also be paid off by now but I'd have a 30 year old RV.

On the other hand, there's the cost of the purchase and the cost of interest over the life of the loan. I've bought and sold several used rigs over the past 30 years, paying cash and upgrading each time. The grand total for all of these is about what I would have paid for a low end Class A back then, not counting inflation or the substantial interest costs.

I bought my current RV 5 years ago for less than $15k. It's a 1999 Ford F350 diesel pickup and a lightly used 2003 29' Sunnybrook trailer that meets about 95% of my wants and needs. They're both in very good shape and like every other rig I've owned, paying cash means it's mine free and clear. If I bought a new RV when I first started out it would also be paid off by now but I'd have a 30 year old RV.
Sure - there are many ways to skin a cat, and it all comes down to your financial situation and purchase needs, and how they change over time. My only point, which I probably went into too much detail to make, was that buying used is not always the right choice, even from a purely financial standpoint.

You make a good point with regard to inflation. If you are ultimately going to have the dream rig, if you buy it in year 1 (assuming you can afford it), then you will pay 40-50% less than you would if you buy it in year 10. I am a buy and hold guy. My cars last an average of 15 years and 225k miles, so I always buy up in terms of brand, size, and features, so I get a lot of bang for the buck for all the money I put out up front.

The financing part of the equation is a little more straightforward, and I know that a majority even in the boating community have the mindset not to borrow money for a depreciating toy. But the math here is pretty straightforward. Assuming that you can afford to buy it, and the alternative to paying cash is keeping that money in earning investment assets, when interest rates are in the 4-5% range, you are better off financing. Over the long run, historically returns on investment assets have averaged upwards of 8%. And if you do finance it, you actually have more flexibility if you are suddenly in financial duress, because you have the cash you would have paid available to tide you over. Also, the interest on the loan can be tax deductible while much of the investment income is tax deferred.

There is no right or wrong answer here....just a matter of what your priorities and circumstances are over time.

Apologies to the OP for hijacking the thread, but it was somewhat related. I'll go back to my spreadsheets now. :)

Last edited:
I need some ideas, have older gas RV looking to move up to Tiffin Red. We can pay cash against investments, own home, cars and vacation house and farm no mortgages. Scary to write that check is it worth a big upgrade we want to travel west and extreme north why we can. Thanks

I need some ideas, have older gas RV looking to move up to Tiffin Red. We can pay cash against investments, own home, cars and vacation house and farm no mortgages. Scary to write that check is it worth a big upgrade we want to travel west and extreme north why we can. Thanks
Rent an RV for a week and go somewhere with it. You will have your answer in a week.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fth
Back
Top Bottom