Flat tow or toad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
1PlasticMan1 said:
Well, I have gone 180 degrees after starting to add up what it would cost to flat tow the T & C. - $3,500.00, and at this time can't justify it.  Also, have a lifetime warranty on the drive train, and putting a external lube pump on the tranny may kill it, as the manual states "RECREATIONAL TOWING FOR THIS VEHICLE IS NOT RECOMMENDED".  "NOTE:  If the vehicle requires towing make sure all four wheels are off the ground."  Have been practicing more with the Rover towing the Tow Dolly in the driveway, and I can get it pretty much where I need it to expend very little physical effort to connect to the coach.  Also, have been practicing with loading/unloading the T & C on the Tow Dolly and feel that I'm down to 20 minutes or less. Will be going around the country come March, so should get a lot of practice and will probably rethink when the trip is over sometime in June.  Amazing what $3K + will do to your thinking.

Wait a minute! Your NOTE: says all four wheels off the ground for towing! Is this car all wheel drive? If so a dolly won't work! You will fry something very expensive if you use a dolly. You need a trailer or another toad. Any cheap, front wheel drive car will do. Think of used front drive cars that have between 100 and 150 K miles on them.

Bill

NOTE: says all four wheels off the ground for towing!  This is verbage from my owner's manual.  My car is front wheel drive.  Sorry for the confusion.

1PlasticMan1 said:
NOTE: says all four wheels off the ground for towing!  This is verbage from my owner's manual.  My car is front wheel drive.  Sorry for the confusion.

My Infiniti SUV is 2 wheel drive.  Manual says it's only towable on a trailer.  I've heard that some folks with rear wheel drive vehicles simply back onto the dolly.  Anyone successfully towing a vehicle that way?

Mavarick said:
Yes to both questions. All towing reduces your mileage to the Rv somewhat and flat towing will increase tire wear as compared to what is on the odometer of the toad. I purchased a CRV like most because it is very simple to flat tow and I needed a vehicle for around town. I have now toed the CRV more miles than what is on the odometer and am considering tires this next season. My CRV causes a loss of app. 1 MPG vs. my 18' enclosed trlr I used to tow which would kill my MPG by 1-2 easy depending on my loaded weight. Everything has a price but I much prefer the CRV 4 down over anything else I have considered. I also found the best price for tow bars and Air Force one by asking for a package price through PPL  http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv_parts_rv_accessories.htm 
I did all the installation so can't compare labor on that, good luck.

Maverick, I remember seein quite a few posts a few years back where you were commenting on towing your enclosed trailer.  Do you now not tow the trailer any longer?  Just curious.

Mike.

After all of the discussion, go to an RV park and count. You'll find 4 down at 8 to 10 times as many as the dollies.

Ernie

I've heard that some folks with rear wheel drive vehicles simply back onto the dolly.  Anyone successfully towing a vehicle that way?

Don't even consider it!  The car front end design makes it chancy at best and prone to disaster, both mechanical and collision. Yes, a few people do it. And other downright crazy things as well.

Gary RV Roamer said:
Don't even consider it!  The car front end design makes it chancy at best and prone to disaster, both mechanical and collision. Yes, a few people do it. And other downright crazy things as well.

Thanks Gary. 

Maverick, I remember seeing quite a few posts a few years back where you were commenting on towing your enclosed trailer.  Do you now not tow the trailer any longer?  Just curious.

Mike, when we were going to MC shows (building choppers) I could haul up to 5 Harleys or 4 customs in that enclosed trlr. Now we pretty much travel just like everyone else so since we have 3 rescues I tow a CRV instead of the trlr. This way we can take the dogs when we leave the Rv park etc. The trlr was ok but I would prefer towing 4 down unless I had something really special that I wanted to put in the trlr. A couple of customs qualified as something special! ;)

Mavarick said:
Mike, when we were going to MC shows (building choppers) I could haul up to 5 Harleys or 4 customs in that enclosed trlr. Now we pretty much travel just like everyone else so since we have 3 rescues I tow a CRV instead of the trlr. This way we can take the dogs when we leave the Rv park etc. The trlr was ok but I would prefer towing 4 down unless I had something really special that I wanted to put in the trlr. A couple of customs qualified as something special! ;)

Great.  Thanks for the reply.  I too generally tow 4-down anymore but we still tow the trailer when we want to take the Harley and the Jeep especially if we are not hop, skip and jumping around from campground to campground and have a single destination in mind.

I agree, 4-down is much easier and convenient.

Mike.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tensch
Back
Top Bottom