Fleetwood Class A full side slider

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gary T

My name is Gary and my wife Michelle and I currently own a 2000 Holiday Rambler 34' class A. We have owned it for about four years and have used it mostly for short trips to Wine festivals and camping trips etc. We have five kids all of which will have graduated and moved out with exception of our daughter who will be attending ASU in the fall of 2010.  We have been looking at several newer Class A RV's And plan to purchase a 2008 0r 2009 unit in the fall of 2010. We like the Fleetwood 39R and the 40T units with the full side slider, I believe that it s approx. 24'. They also have sliders on the opposite side of the coach for the kitchen and bedroom as well. My questions would be, is there anyone  out there that has had or heard of any problems with the sliders. We are not locked in to Fleetwood , but we do like the openness of the full wall slide out units. Thank you for your time and wisdom! Gary

First off, I sell Fleetwood.  But I have been a contributing member here for many times longer.  I have sold many many full wall slides, and never had a customer with an issue.  I haven't heard of any issues except for one.  Fleetwood uses 3 step motors, on the one with an issue, one of the step motors failed.  (step motors allow them to be synchronised)  Warranty issue cleared up quickly.  If it does fail, there is an easy, yet manual fix.  Motors are disconnected and you can pull it in with a wrench from underneath. 

When they were first released, (Pace Arrow 36D 2006) I was skeptical, but have since gotten confidence. 

Full wall slides have been around for several years now - Fleetwood was not even the first to offer them. We don't hear of any more problems with the full wall slide than with slides in general (and that's not a whole lot either). If you like it, go for it!

PancakeBill said:
  If it does fail, there is an easy, yet manual fix.  Motors are disconnected and you can pull it in with a wrench from underneath. 

Where were you when the slide on my Fleetwood failed? I spent a half an hour underneath that sucker with a wrench and never did manage to get it in. I had to call a service truck. Spent the night in a park in Tuscon first. I will never own another rig with a slide. When they do fail (and they do fail) you can be up a creek without a paddle.

I will never own a unit with a slide again, not worth the hassle. I have no use for all that extra room. I am not planning on playing tennis in there.

We have a Fleetwood Discovery 39r with Full Slide.  We have never had a problem  in 2 year's use.  Bill P.

seilerbird said:
Where were you when the slide on my Fleetwood failed? I spent a half an hour underneath that sucker with a wrench and never did manage to get it in. I had to call a service truck. Spent the night in a park in Tuscon first. I will never own another rig with a slide. When they do fail (and they do fail) you can be up a creek without a paddle.

I will never own a unit with a slide again, not worth the hassle. I have no use for all that extra room. I am not planning on playing tennis in there.

Full wall sides are fantastic. It really gives you so much more room and you can get by with less length and these days more options to get in somewhere is better. We have only 34' but that full length slide makes it seem like we have much more. Anyone that comes in is amazed it is only 34' long. I only wish it had full length slides on both sides.

Thanks for all the replies to my question. It's nice to hear from experienced Rvers who have been around the block a time or two. I'll watching the forum in the future for more insightful  tips. thanks, Gary

I bought a new 2008 American Eagle by Fleetwood with a full wall slide and have been having nothing but issues with it. I have yet to take an untroubled trip in the coach and I have owned it for two years. A half million dollar coach and I just do not have the time to drive it thousands of miles to Indiana every-time it breaks. It sags and then catches on the flooring pulling tiles and bits of metal fragments. It is just unusable so I have a full wall slide I cannot use and holidays totally lost to getting the machine I am supposed to be enjoying , in for repair.   

Fleetwood allegedly repaired it under warranty but it was 6 months until I could take it out (when I had holidays again) and first trip - same problem, except now Fleetwood says my warranty is over.

Does anyone know of slider experts tin the west coast area that might be able to help me make it work reliably ?

[email protected]

Sorry to hear you have a problem child and got caught in the bankruptcy time frame with your warranty. The AIP "new" Fleetwood covered the "old" Fleetwood warranty but is not going out of their way to help once that old warranty expires.

You will probably need an American Coach dealer because those slides have a complex mechanism that relies on synchronization of the motors to bring it in straight. Lazy Days now has a service center in Tucson and they are a big AC dealer, so maybe they could help. Don't know if they have any AC-trained techs in Tucson, though.  RV World in Yuma is also an AC dealer.

American Coach has had some problems with the full wall slide on the 08 models. Seems as though the adjustment is critical. Must be a different mechanism that is used on the rest of the Fleetwood line. Or maybe its just the bigger, heavier slide in these 43 foot coaches.

seilerbird said:

I would agree to a point. I spend 6 months in the RV and 6 in a condo in Arizona. I do like the extra room. For short vacations or weekends, sure I could go without the space, but after continuous months the no slides RV seems to get smaller.

I went from a class C with no slides to the A with two, and despite the potential and expected problems, wouldn't be without them.

If I never again bought any feature or device that had ever broken down on me, I wouldn't own much of anything.  Cars would be among the first to go, along with all my computers.  ::)

Our previous coach was a 2006 Providence 39v with the full wall slide.  We now own a 2011 Itasca Ellipse which also has a full wall slide.  We love the spacious feeling the full wall slide provides.  No problems with either unit.  Just be sure you are always level whenever extending or retracting slide and maintain the slides as recommended by the manufacturer and you should not have a problem.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boklm
Back
Top Bottom