Floating truck when pulling rv with equalizer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BCEW99

Got a question for experienced Dudes in towables. I bought a Winnebago toy hauler 30’ total length. The dealer set me up with a equalizer hitch and it towed well last year. This year I got new all terrain tires and level kit installed on my Nissan xd. First trip out it felt floaty when getting hit with wind gust. I raised the tension bracket one hole and it helped just a little.
So then I lowered ball one hole cause the rear end was raised 1 to two inches in back. Took it out and it was still a bit floaty when hit with some side wind. The truck n trailer are in perfect alignment when looking at side view. Is it a equalizer problem or new tire feel? Or loss of aerodynamics from level kit? Or just damn wind. Tire pressure 70 psi on both rigs

Normally, your Nissan Titan is not enough truck for a 30 foot TT but the WDH with sway control made it manageable. I strongly suspect the new tires don't have enough surface area (too knobby) to haul the trailer. Thus, you get the floating feel because your truck is on wobbly tires. I'd suggest you go back to highway tread truck tires. Should be a big improvement.

Normally, your Nissan Titan is not enough truck for a 30 foot TT but the WDH with sway control made it manageable. I strongly suspect the new tires don't have enough surface area (too knobby) to haul the trailer. Thus, you get the floating feel because your truck is on wobbly tires. I'd suggest you go back to highway tread truck tires. Should be a big improvement.
A 30ft toy hauler and a 1/2 ton you really need to look at your weight.
What is the payload on your titan - about 1400lbs look at the decal on the b piller drivers side. Its a bumper pull so the front is really heavy. Its possible if there is nothing in the toy hauler you have more weight than you can handle on the bumper. Toy haulers and 1/2:tons are not a good fit even bumper pulls.
I had a friend with a 30ft Attitude toy hauler and a tundra swore it was solid. Finally bought a 2500 omg who knew i was right

Last edited:
Thanks

Tires are definitely number one mistake. Not having some accurate weights is number two. Too much weight on the rear or shifted to the trailer unloading the front end is a definite consideration. Get it weighed loaded ready to go. My guess you will find your way off on your guesses putting you into the serious dangerous position.

A 30ft toy hauler and a 1/2 ton you really need to look at your weight.
What is the payload on your titan - about 1400lbs look at the decal on the b piller drivers side. Its a bumper pull so the front is really heavy. Its possible if there is nothing in the toy hauler you have more weight than you can handle on the bumper. Toy haulers and 1/2:tons are not a good fit even bumper pulls.
I had a friend with a 30ft Attitude toy hauler and a tundra swore it was solid. Finally bought a 2500 omg who knew i was right
Ya the XD diesel payload is 1900lbs. But the pillar says only 1685lbs. Tow capacity is 12,000. My trailer is a S24FB smallest toy hauler Winnebago makes. At 7300lbs dry. 10,400 lbs GVWR. No problem pulling but might be a little light for my trailer.

The pillar is the correct payload for your truck throw that 1900 out the window its useless. At 10400 gvwr and 15% on the hitch your at 1560 on the bumper now add 100lbs forcthe hitch your at 1660lbs your payload is 1685. So unless you and wife kids dog wood and tools tonneau cover and pots pans dishes food clothes and booze all weight less than 25 lbs total you are seriously over weight. You really need to reconsider what your doing. Its not a matter of if just a matter of when something will go wrong. If you get into an accident an ins agent will deny your claims. Cause ins companies are always looking for an out. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

I'm not going to say you shouldn't be pulling your TT with your current tow vehicle. If you get it back to pulling comfortably, just be careful, fully engaged when towing, and keep your top speed about 60 mph. I also suggest you consider a 3/4 ton when circumstances permit. Please update us when you get everything dialed in. Good luck.

It could be the new tires... Or the pressure in the new tires. Different size tires may need different pressures... However though I suspect you need MORE pressure. the fact is that might well be wrong. Could also be the trailer tires need more ... I used to have a car with a tire that sometimes leaked a bit and "FLoaty" was how I knew to air it back up.

This year I got new all terrain tires and level kit installed on my Nissan xd. Tire pressure 70 psi on both rigs.
IMO, Nissan not adequate, not near enough payload. All terrains might not be best for pulling. Level kit just made a barely adequate tow vehicle worse, lost all your rake. 70 psi seems a bit high, but just my opinion.

Probably the Nissan is quite possibly marginal for the load, but he wasn't having the front end "float" problem until he changed the tires and added that "level kit". Or maybe changed the trailer balance, since it's a year later now.

What is this "level kit"? Anything that changes the weight distribution on the truck axles is a suspect.

I'd do the following:
  1. Get the rig weighed with and without the trailer so the tongue weight can be determined (guesswork not allowed!).
  2. Adjust the Equalizer to properly balance the tongue weight on the truck (read the Equalizer manual if you don't know how). And that "level kit" too (or just remove it!).
  3. After balancing the load, determine the front axle weight on the truck and set the tire psi appropriately for the weight.
  4. If you still have problems, replace the tires.

As others have said, there's a lot of guesswork going on and Gary laid out the next steps you should take. The actual weight of the trailer, and the actual weight being carried by your front and rear truck axles (with current settings) will determine correct tire pressures and whether your truck is overloaded.

If the trailer tires' max is 80psi, get those up to 80 and keep them there... that's best practice for trailer tires. The truck tires on the other hand should be adjusted based on the actual weight being carried. Getting that corrected is your starting point to properly carry the trailer weight and hopefully improve handling.

Back
Top Bottom