Florida Winter Destinations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
    Anyplace along the I 4 corridor or south of it.  North of it will be cold for 3 to 4 weeks January to early February.  There are virtually hundreds of 55+ parks available, with the more expensive ones nearer the coast, or near the Theme Parks.

Ed

dfgrant said:
Recommendations for Florida wintering for 2-3 months

We stay at Sanlan RV Resort in Lakeland FL. Really nice with a ton of activities if you want to participate. So it's not cheap. It all depends what you're looking for.

We stay at the Escapees RV Club owned Sumter Oaks RV Park near Bushnell, FL for 4-5 weeks in the winter at $340/month plus electric. The rest of the time we move from state park to state park every week or two.

The Florida Trail runs right near the Osceola campground in Olustee, Florida. I may do that this winter. I live nearby.

legrandnormand said:
Hiking in FL ! Are you serious ?  ;D ;D ;D

Yes, hiking. The campground I go to has over 7 mils of hiking trails. Hiking doesn't necessarily have to be in mountains.

Howdy,

SeilerBird said:
Yes I am serious, I do a lot of hiking in Florida. Some of us like to stay in shape.

+1. We did a lot of hiking (with and without geocaching) when we RVed in Florida 2 years ago. Generally enjoyed the experience, the one exception was when we almost stumbled onto an alligator larger and almost as tall as a Harley after a turn in the trail (but fortunately for all involved, the beast showed admirable good thinking and just stood up and ran back into the water ~20ft away faster than we could blink an eye, *without* carrying any of us in its jaws. It was quite a fright, tho...).

Cheers,
--
  Vall & Mo.

We stayed at Hide-A-Way RV in Ruskin last winter.  Cost was about $600 per month plus electric.  It is a 55+ park.  They have a nice pool and lots of activities.  Horseshoes, shuffleboard, aerobics, water aerobics, kayaking, bowling, golf, dances, pot-luck dinners, entertainment, bingo, etc.

It is located on the Little Manatee River south of Tampa on Route 41.  Easy access to Tampa and/or across they Skyway Bridge to St. Petersburg or south to Bradenton and Sarasota for dining and entertainment.  It's also a quick trip into Sun City for meds (Walgreens, CVS, Walmart) and shopping (Publix, Winn-Dixie, Walmart).

There are a lot of really nice full time residents there and many of the "transients" come back every year.  It has a nice "neighborhood" feel for an RV park.

We winter over in Sebring area, Highland Hammock State park is nearby {https://www.floridastateparks.org/park/Highlands-Hammock} with plenty of hiking trails. Sebring is a good location to go just about anywhere in Fl. and is a little cheaper than being near the beach areas. As long as you get south of Tampa the weather stays pretty good. 8)

JW of Opechee Shores said:
Come on Seiler Bird and Rene, In NH we hike trails: in Florida we do "Walking Trails". Going to Florida and walking is a fun and healthy way to stay active but calling it hiking is a stretch.

I agree with you, in FL you walk trails but in AZ or UT you do hike trails !  ;)
In FL you can bike anywhere, but not in AZ or UT, you'll need an electric bike !  ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BTRDYS
Back
Top Bottom