Flushable wipes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Our motto "You have to eat or drink it, for it to go down". We bag TP, etc. The general idea is to keep all of this out of the tank. I'm curious if there are better ways of accomplishing this? Ok, I really wanted to use a pun here but no I'm not going to. 

68 Whiskey said:
I'm curious if there are better ways of accomplishing this?

Yes, use it the way it was designed to use. Using a few simple preventative steps, you'll have no problems with using TP.

I use no chemicals and special toilet paper since I bought a certain kind of vent.  Sitting or traveling the air blows through the vent on the roof of RV and puts oxygen in the tank to get rid of odors sucks out odors and breaks down everything including paper.  It works didn't think I could ever have a smell free right. Great when boondocking check it out

Commercial link removed    -scottydl

You don't need chemicals, special vents, or special toilet paper. Regular septic-safe TP (which is most of them now), used sparingly, and flushing with plenty of water (so it can dissolve the solids and promote good bacterial breakdown) will keep your black tank odor-free and emptying just fine.

Very interesting. So, we're getting all of this PR hype then, from the mfg's of the chemicals that we need to use them, and we really don't need any of it then? To think of all the money I/we all have been wasting then. So, if I follow then, should we use something like RID-X to promote bacterial growth, or is this just more PR?

68 Whiskey said:
Very interesting. So, we're getting all of this PR hype then, from the mfg's of the chemicals that we need to use them, and we really don't need any of it then? To think of all the money I/we all have been wasting then. So, if I follow then, should we use something like RID-X to promote bacterial growth, or is this just more PR?
More PR hype unless you have a specific problem/concern.
I MIGHT repeat MIGHT use rid-x IF I was boondocking for a long time and trying to put as little liquid down the toilet as possible. Then it MIGht be useful

68 Whiskey said:

Your RV has a simple holding tank, not a septic system. Stuff goes into the tank, is held there for a while, then gets dumped out.

The only thing required for this to occur is water.

68 Whiskey said:
Thought so, but I thought I have been missing something.

What you are missing is that many ignore the fact that the contents of the black stinks and you can control that somewhat with chemicals.  If you don't care about the odor and don't care that others might be offended, then just use water.

lynnmor said:
What you are missing is that many ignore the fact that the contents of the black stinks and you can control that somewhat with chemicals.  If you don't care about the odor and don't care that others might be offended, then just use water.

People talk about how bad the smell is coming from the black tank if chemicals aren't used. I've never used chemicals and I've never had any smell coming up thru the toilet when I flush. One thing I do to make sure it does not smell is that I do not run the ceiling exhaust fan when flushing.

Rene T said:
People talk about how bad the smell is coming from the black tank if chemicals aren't used. I've never used chemicals and I've never had any smell coming up thru the toilet when I flush. One thing I do to make sure it does not smell is that I do not run the ceiling exhaust fan when flushing.
We used chemicals the first 10 years we were camping. Haven?t used them the last 15 years. With the chemicals, stuff stinks as you dump it. Without the chemicals, stuff stinks as you dump it. Most of the smell just comes from the drain though, not my tank. The key is to use lots of water as the PP said. That and not running the vent fan as Rene says.

lynnmor said:

Look I'm not missing anything about the stench of a black tank, we do and have used chemicals to control the odor of our black tank. If you are inferring this about me and I'm not sure why you would think that I don't care about this, you don't know me. I'm not the OP of this thread. I thought the basic premise of this forum was to be educational and helpful not adversarial. Or am I missing this as well?

68 Whiskey said:
I thought the basic premise of this forum was to be educational and helpful not adversarial. Or am I missing this as well?

It is, and no, you are not. Chemicals are generally unnecessary. I have not used them in years and not a whiff inside or out. Unless, as Rene T points out, I forget to turnoff the bathroom exhaust fan when I flush. Then you are essentially sucking the fumes out of the tanks.

It never occurred to me people would use these wipes to clean other than their hands or face. Weird.

The full body wet wipes are a highly requested item by our troupes on deployment.

irishtom29 said:
It never occurred to me people would use these wipes to clean other than their hands or face. Weird.

Very handy when camping in a place with zero water....

I believe most wipes are made from plastic fibres. (or fiber in American  :D).....

Rene T said:
People talk about how bad the smell is coming from the black tank if chemicals aren't used. I've never used chemicals and I've never had any smell coming up thru the toilet when I flush.

Same here. The only time I have ever had black tank odor evident in the RV is when I allowed the tank to dry out, with some crud still in the bottom of the tank. As long as your factory vent pipe is in place and sufficient water level to create an odor barrier, all the odors will go up and out the vent.

jackiemac said:
Very handy when camping in a place with zero water....

I believe most wipes are made from plastic fibres. (or fiber in American  :D).....
We used wet wipes when primitive camping quite a bit. I also used to teach tent camping skills to women. Studies have shown that staying dirty (note, not getting dirty) is a major turnoff for women. Wet wipes let you clean up at night and in the morning when bathing just isn't an option. And there are wipes made of rayon which is burnable since it is just a plant fiber. I am no precious flower, but after a day of hiking or canoeing covered in mosquito repellent and sweat, it is quite useful to wipe all that junk off before climbing into my sleeping bag. We used to use regular washcloths, but the wipes are so much easier.

UTTransplant said:
We used wet wipes when primitive camping quite a bit. I also used to teach tent camping skills to women. Studies have shown that staying dirty (note, not getting dirty) is a major turnoff for women. Wet wipes let you clean up at night and in the morning when bathing just isn't an option. And there are wipes made of rayon which is burnable since it is just a plant fiber. I am no precious flower, but after a day of hiking or canoeing covered in mosquito repellent and sweat, it is quite useful to wipe all that junk off before climbing into my sleeping bag. We used to use regular washcloths, but the wipes are so much easier.
We use them a lot but do hate that they are plastic..

Back
Top Bottom