Fly fishing for striped bass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
All this talk of fly rods caused me to break out one of my el cheapo Shimano rods yesterday. The stripers were feeding deep (22-25 feet), and my traditional bass lures weren't getting down there. So I tried fly casting a clouser minnow (tied like a large streamer fly) with a sink tip line. Had fun, but still couldn't get down deep enough. Looks like I need to get either lead core or tungsten line. Have never tried casting either of those with a fly rod, but it's a good excuse to visit the tackle store. Definitely not like casting size 18 or smaller flies to a shy trout on a small stream.

I have never tried casting with lead core line but I don't think it will work very good.  But whatever reason it is good to visit the tackle shop.

I have my doubts too Ron, but some of the diehards around here do it. The tungsten line is supposed to accomplish the same thing (i.e. get the lure down deep), but I've never seen or used it.

LOL Ron, maybe I'll need to use a pool cue to cast the lead core.

LOL Ron, I've never used a crossbow, although I've seen a number of fisherpeople around the CA delta sporting them. I'd be downright dangerous with one in my hands.

OK here's part of the story. I visited a tackle shop today and bought lead core fly line (sounds like an oxy moron). Actually it's much finer and lighter than what is used for trolling. It comes in two forms:

• A 30 foot length that can be cut to different lengths and used as a shooting head, or accelerated sink tip.
  • A pre-cut length called a mini head kit.

Both kinds are spec'd for sinking rate, the first one stated in grains per foot, and the second stated in inches per foot. I haven't yet tried either one, but will do so on my next time out.

The store hadn't heard of tungsten line, so I guess I need to visit tackle stores &/or manufacturers online.

Thats interesting Tom.  I had not heard of such lead core line even though I use the trolling kind of lead core.  Let me know how it works.

Will do Ron. I'm really curious to know how the fly rod will handle it because it's obviously heavier than regular fly line. Normally I'd balance the fly line to the action of the rod, but this lead cored line introduces another variable. It'll be trial and error I guess.

Forecast is for another storm to come through tomorrow, but fine again on Monday.

BTW here's the info on the two products I bought today. Scroll to the bottom of that page and they're the last two items.

>>>and are a must-have item for traveling anglers. <<<

Sounds like I might need them too. after all we travel. (BG)  I will be interested in how it works. 

Hi guys,

When we were fishing the Fall River up near Redding, CA a fly guide introduced us to tappered weighted lead line (hope I got that right).  He called it 'sinking' line.  We put, what we call in fly fishing a "wooly bugger" ,on the end, and used a short flexible casting rod.  Threw out the line, waited several seconds for it to sink.  We would reel in a few feet of line, let it sink and so forth.  I caught the biggest trout ever with that method.

Marsha~

I caught the biggest trout ever with that method.

Marsha, now that sounds like the biggest fish story I've ever heard  :)

I was wondering if that line was really lead core? Reason I ask is that I have sinking lines and forward tapered lines that I use when fly fishing for trout, but do not have a lead core. They work like the  lead (or tungsten), but obviously don't sink as fast. If the river was particulary deep &/or running fast, and the fish are down deep, then it makes sense. Your method of cast, sink and retrieve sure sounds familiar though. I'm not really a lover of using the lead or tungsten lines; The balance of the pole, line and reel are way out of kilter. The alternative would be to get a pole with a much heavier/stiffer action, but that would be like casting with a pool cue.

I must admit that I much prefer wading a stream and casting a fly. I also get a kick out of float tubing around the lakes.

Ron OTOH uses some serious lead core line to drag an anchor around the lakes in Montana. But he does catch lots of trout.

MarshaLassen/CA said:
Hi guys,

When we were fishing the Fall River up near Redding, CA a fly guide introduced us to tappered weighted lead line (hope I got that right).? He called it 'sinking' line.? We put, what we call in fly fishing a "wooly bugger" ,on the end, and used a short flexible casting rod.? Threw out the line, waited several seconds for it to sink.? We would reel in a few feet of line, let it sink and so forth.? I caught the biggest trout ever with that method.

Marsha~

The more I hear about this leaded fly line the more I think I need some. ?I use lead core line all the time when trolling but have never used leaded fly line. ?I will have to check this out.

Ron,
I've gotten back into Fly Fishing lately. It started last season on a couple of streams around here in NW Ct. and then got real hot when I went to Alaska for a week last August. We had a guide for 6 days on the Kenai River floating for Rainbows, Dolly Varden and Silver Salmon. However the salmon weren't really in the river because of the dry hot weather, but we nailed the Dollies and the Bows real good.  Trip of a lifetime.
Then this past October, a friend from the campground took me up to the Salmon River in upstate New York and showed me how to dead drift nymphs for the big Salmon spawning up out of Lake Ontario. I got into some 20 pounders.  WOW, what a great time bringing them in on a fly rod. Best part is I actually did get some in. We went up again a few weeks later and I got into a about a 7-8 lb. (estimate) Steelhead. Unbelievable!  He made one run past me, came about 4 feet out of water and that was the end of him. We'll be heading back up next month to try and get him back on my line.

thedollyllama said:
I've gotten back into Fly Fishing lately. It started last season on a couple of streams around here in NW Ct. and then got real hot when I went to Alaska for a week last August. We had a guide for 6 days on the Kenai River floating for Rainbows, Dolly Varden and Silver Salmon. However the salmon weren't really in the river because of the dry hot weather, but we nailed the Dollies and the Bows real good.? Trip of a lifetime.
Then this past October, a friend from the campground took me up to the Salmon River in upstate New York and showed me how to dead drift nymphs for the big Salmon spawning up out of Lake Ontario. I got into some 20 pounders.? WOW, what a great time bringing them in on a fly rod. Best part is I actually did get some in. We went up again a few weeks later and I got into a about a 7-8 lb. (estimate) Steelhead. Unbelievable!? He made one run past me, came about 4 feet out of water and that was the end of him. We'll be heading back up next month to try and get him back on my line.
again?

Sounds like fun.  I've just been trolling last year but ole Tom is getting me interested in bring out the fly rod again.  When you coming out to Mt

Ron,

Montana ??  I don't know when Ron.  I know I often dream about it, but actually gettin out there is another matter.  Maybe someday we'll make it.  How's Sam doin anyway ?? Still a sewin and a knittin and crochettin or whatever it is she does?

thedollyllama said:
Ron,

Montana ??? ?I don't know when Ron.? I know I often dream about it, but actually gettin out there is another matter.? Maybe someday we'll make it.? How's Sam doin anyway ?? Still a sewin and a knittin and crochettin or whatever it is she does?

When you come out to Lewistown we can take you out and show you a few head of deer maybe oly 200 or so in an evening.  ;D
Sam is doing good.  She is till quilting.  Tom posted a photo of one of her quilts that he took while they were there.  Turns out Sam plans to enter that quilt in the fair.

Hope you and Ann are doing well.

Tom said:
All this talk of fly rods caused me to break out one of my el cheapo Shimano rods yesterday. The stripers were feeding deep (22-25 feet), and my traditional bass lures weren't getting down there. So I tried fly casting a clouser minnow (tied like a large streamer fly) with a sink tip line. Had fun, but still couldn't get down deep enough. Looks like I need to get either lead core or tungsten line. Have never tried casting either of those with a fly rod, but it's a good excuse to visit the tackle store. Definitely not like casting size 18 or smaller flies to a shy trout on a small stream.

Howdy, Tom.
Clouser minnow is a good choice and for 25 feet a lead line is a good idea. Even better is to use a spinning rod with a bucktail jig or one of the big lipped crankbaits. If none of these work, you can always try a Cajun flyrod. :D

Regards,
Jack

Back
Top Bottom