Flying with a pet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rene T

Site Team
Someday, we would like to fly back and forth from NH to FL. We have a small dog (5.5 lbs). Obviously we have to get a pet carrier that is approved by the airlines. It’s been years since we’ve flown but I believe every person is allowed one carry-on bag/suitcase as long as it fits in the above storage compartment. I’m sure they have Maximum dimensions for this.
Now my question is can I have a carry-on and also a pet carrier which fits under the seat? Figured I’d ask here because some of you may do it all the time. Thanks

Not much fits under airline seats anymore.

The airlines I've flown on in the past year seem to allow pets in the cabin without being in a carrier, i.e. you are expected to hold them on your lap or at your feet. I have mixed emotions about that, knowing that any animal can get excited or uneasy and become unruly, but there were no incidents on the 6 flights I took.

Don't assume - contact the airline you plan to utilize and learn their pet policies.

Someday, we would like to fly back and forth from NH to FL. We have a small dog (5.5 lbs). Obviously we have to get a pet carrier that is approved by the airlines. It’s been years since we’ve flown but I believe every person is allowed one carry-on bag/suitcase as long as it fits in the above storage compartment. I’m sure they have Maximum dimensions for this.
Now my question is can I have a carry-on and also a pet carrier which fits under the seat? Figured I’d ask here because some of you may do it all the time. Thanks
I seem to recall pet carriers are included in the count of allowed carry-on. Our domestic routes and preferred carrier (Southwest) require the pet be able to stand in their/approved carrier while the carier sits under the seat in front of you. The pet is also not allowed out of the carrier while on board. That's why, for the last 10+ years, we've driven 2,500 miles each way between CA and OH.

When we recently flew that route sans dogs, I noticed a couple of dogs in the pre-board area. One was a large lab and clearly a 'service' pet. Another, around 20-25lbs, was being carried and I saw the lady carry it on board. Couldn't tell if it was a 'service' pet or not.

While in the Denver airport, I was pleasantly surprised to see a 'Pet Relief' sign, but didn't go investigate since we no longer have dogs and I'd opted for wheelchair assistance; The wheelchair driver offered to take me to the men's room, but I figured he wouldn't want to go to the pet's room.

Attachments

• Pet Relief.jpg
    Pet Relief.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 3
Not much fits under airline seats anymore.

The airlines I've flown on in the past year seem to allow pets in the cabin without being in a carrier, i.e. you are expected to hold them on your lap or at your feet. I have mixed emotions about that, knowing that any animal can get excited or uneasy and become unruly, but there were no incidents on the 6 flights I took.

Don't assume - contact the airline you plan to utilize and learn their pet policies.
Thanks Gary. Do you remember what airline that was?

A couple of years ago were were flying NY to FL and a woman sat next to me and put her bag under the seat. An hour or so into the flight, I reached down to get something out of my bag and a little dog popped his head out of her bag like "Hey, what's up?". Had no idea he was in there. Gave him a little pet on the head and he tucked back in there and went to sleep.

My wife and son just flew from Ft Myers to Dickenson ND via Denver. Both took their small dogs in carriers w/o any questions. Both were also permitted to hold their pets in their laps for at least part of the trip.

Ernie

Just an FYI, there are no “service pets.” There are “pets” and there are “service dogs” (and a few miniature horses). They are not the same and are treated differently. And the “pet relief” areas are nasty places. My guide dog Ralph doesn’t want to set foot in them.

Daughter has flown several times with her 13 lb Shi Tzu, who is well behaved and sleeps through the flight.
The Denver Airport "Pet Relief station is in the NorthEast Corner of the Main Terminal at the lower level parking. It is not terribly convenient, but probably better that a lot of airports who have no such thing.

We fly with 2 cats, 4x/yr. Ak Air. $100/animal, must fit under seat, must stay in carrier. Does not count as one of your carry-on bags.

We fly with 2 cats, 4x/yr. Ak Air. $100/animal, must fit under seat, must stay in carrier. Does not count as one of your carry-on bags.
Interesting, good to hear you're able to take along your pet family.

OTOH I'm extremely allergic to cats (have been for many years) and, in the worst case, they might need to declare a medical emergency if I was in an adjacent seat. Now that I'm aware folks travel with cats, I'll ask if symptoms show up, and simply ask to change seats.

LOL - anecdotal answers are okay and we've had good experience with our 45 lb dog sedated in a crate in the hold from Hawaii to Florida with rest stop in between legs - however, the only truth for EACH flight you're going to take will be what the agent tells you when you make the reservation...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BTRDYS
Back
Top Bottom