Ford 460 Engine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zach

Hello all,
So I've had my 89 Ford Class C inside for two weeks, I'm doing some seam sealing, and saw that after sitting there appears to be a bit of an oil leak. Are the 460 engines known for this? This is a 5k RV so I'm not in a position to put much money into it...I call it my "starter RV".
Thanks for any insight.
Zach
PS> The engine has only 41k miles on it

A 460 with that age is old enough to show small signs of oil leaks if it hasn't been cared for properly.  Things such and Valve Cover gaskets have either hardened or the bolts have  worked a little loose or been over tightened.Also the posilbity of Heads need to be retightened. Oil pan could be leaking or the timing gear cover is leaking.  Even the rear seal could be hardening.  Any number of these thing could occur, none of which is a major problem to correct.  Time consuming if you are handy  Expensive (possibly) if not.  These are the places I'd start checking .  JMHO

It acatually looks like it's right under the oil pan...it's not much oil, I think, so I guess I'll just carry some extra oil with me?

Zach,
Is there a puddle on the floor or is the engine just damp with oil? A little dampness is nothing to worry about; even a few drops on the floor. If there's no blueish smoke from the exhaust, I wouldn't worry about it. Blue smoke indicates either valve stem leakage, worn piston rings, or worn cylinders. A bad head gasket will show up as either coolant in the oil or oil in the coolant, and usually a blueish or whiteish smoke from the exhaust, and you may hear a fairly loud 'ticking' sound near the top of the engine on one side or the other, not both sides. A bad head gasket would be something you would want to fix fairly quickly.

I'd crawl under it and check the oil pan, might need to tighten a bolt or 2.  Worth a look.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom